z max, cermax, or plain engine restore - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

z max, cermax, or plain engine restore

Hey guys i have a 77' olds delta 88, Indy 500 Official Pace Car replica. The motor has prolly got over 200,000 on it now and i wanna see if i can get a little more life out of it. It is a 403 rocket engine(small block) with a Th350 tranny. I'm not quite ready to pull the motor and rebuilt it yet, with another project already in progress.
The motor runs smooth as silk, theres not a tick or rattle anywhere. heck you really can't even tell its running till you give her some gas.

My question is, as indicated in the title, What is the best Oil additive available today? The 3 listed above all claim to do basically the same job, restore power, compression, ect.

Have any of you used them? did they do what they say? is they cermax worth being the most expensive stuff out there? Tell me your expieriences.
Thanks Danny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

If it's running that good and not burning oil or smoking then I would leave well enough alone..... Engine Restore, I have an OLD 49 Ferguson 30 tractor with a gas 4 banger. Did a compression test and #1 was down about 30 psi from the other 3. I figured "what the hell" so I put in a large can of Engine Restore and ran it all day. Checked that cyl. again and it picked up 13 psi...go figure.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
How is the compression on the Ferguson today?
Rich
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

If its running good and not using oil then leave it alone! Actually the only product I would use would be Valvoline synpower oil treatment, its loaded with Moly and ZDDP. It will also thicken the oil a little. Or just use a High millage oil, they tend to have more additives.

I have used Restore before and had good results but I wouldn't put in an engine that is running good. A lot of people will call it snake oil but most of the reports of people who have actually used it say it helps reduce smoking and increases compression.

It seems like ZMAX had a bunch of lawsuits, one form the FTC stating it was only mineral oil. I have never used cermax. This is from the cermax website...
EMISSION TYPE W/O CerMax WITH CerMax
(6 miles later) WITH CerMax
(458 miles later) EMISSION REDUCTION
(total percent)
Hydrocarbons 68ppm 3ppm 2ppm 97.05%
Carbon Monoxide 0.54% 0.04% 0.03% 94.44%
Nitrogen Oxide 377ppm 107ppm 22ppm 94.16%

Can anyone spot the BS ??

Jordon
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

Rich, I put the Restore in last November, havn't checked the compression since. The old tractor runs pretty good though, I only use it a couple of times a month with a 4' bush hog to cut weeds. Will be changing the oil/filter and adding another can of Restore next week.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The best product I have seen yet, to free up rings, is K&W Knocker Loose penetrant. You just have to spray some into each cylinder, and let it set for a week, then spray some more, and fire and go.

16 years ago, I used 4 "spray and let set" for a week times, then sprayed one more time just before cranking it over, in a 1950 flat head straight 8 Pontiac 2 door Business Coupe, that would not turn over by hand when purchased. It did not smoke, and still does not smoke, or use any oil now. Also the engine has never been apart, it's all original, 6 volt even.

JMO
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
Hey guys i have a 77' olds delta 88, Indy 500 Official Pace Car replica. The motor has prolly got over 200,000 on it now and i wanna see if i can get a little more life out of it. It is a 403 rocket engine(small block) with a Th350 tranny. I'm not quite ready to pull the motor and rebuilt it yet, with another project already in progress.
The motor runs smooth as silk, theres not a tick or rattle anywhere. heck you really can't even tell its running till you give her some gas.

My question is, as indicated in the title, What is the best Oil additive available today? The 3 listed above all claim to do basically the same job, restore power, compression, ect.

Have any of you used them? did they do what they say? is they cermax worth being the most expensive stuff out there? Tell me your expieriences.
Thanks Danny
You can't use the forces that wear an engine out to "plate" it back to its former glory.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.