Z-pack or regular borg-warner 3/4 clutches in 700r4? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Z-pack or regular borg-warner 3/4 clutches in 700r4?

As the title says guys,

Dana at Pro-built automatics says they're the same, but he offers the Z-pack instead of the Borg Warner clutches for the 3/4 pack in the 700R4's.

What do you all think? He hasn't shipped my kit yet so I still have the option to change. Any and all comments welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Last journal entry: 700r4 still running strong

I'm sure he's not going to sell you anything sub par. I got my kit from him also, the road race kit but he gave me B&W clutches. I'm not real sure but depending on what your going to be using the trans for such as street/strip or towing determines what clutches you should use instade of one clutch fits all. Dana is one of the few people who will talk to you an listen to what you have to say.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
I'm sure he's not going to sell you anything sub par. I got my kit from him also, the road race kit but he gave me B&W clutches. I'm not real sure but depending on what your going to be using the trans for such as street/strip or towing determines what clutches you should use instade of one clutch fits all. Dana is one of the few people who will talk to you an listen to what you have to say.
I spoke with him at length and his opinion was that it was personal preference...like a fad where one option really doesn't offer major benefits over the other. So I thought I'd reach out to those who have each type and see what they thought.

My car is a street car that will make it to the midnight drags once or twice a year for a run or two and maybe an autocross event or two.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:06 PM

I though the Z-pac clutches were more or less for hard 1/4 mile, red light to red light, the same with red Alto clutches and the B&W clutches were more for up & down shifting not so much for 1/4 mile stuff. I'm using the thick B&W clutches with thick Torbonator steels. All I could say is go with the thickest clutches & steels you can or a least thick steels. When steels get to hot they cone inwards when that happens you no longer have 100% contact on the clutch face, then there is only about 60% contact an the clutch starts to burn up. Thick steels won't cone as bad as thin ones.I've never seen anything written about one type of clutch being better than another, but I can say that Crosly the moderator on this board like the B&W clutches.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Sorry I double posted

I though the Z-pac clutches were more or less for hard 1/4 mile, red light to red light, the same with red Alto clutches and the B&W clutches were more for up & down shifting not so much for 1/4 mile stuff. I'm using the thick B&W clutches with thick Torbonator steels. All I could say is go with the thickest clutches & steels you can or a least thick steels. When steels get to hot they cone inwards when that happens you no longer have 100% contact on the clutch face, then there is only about 60% contact an the clutch starts to burn up. Thick steels won't cone as bad as thin ones.I've never seen anything written about one type of clutch being better than another, but I can say that Crosly the moderator on this board like the B&W clutches.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.