Hot Rod Forum banner

z28 positraction?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a 1985 z28 has positraction? Its not factory, it actually has 2.72 gears with an eaton locker..... does that mean it is posi trac? also, did this car come with a 7.5 rear? looking to put in some 4.10 gears

#4 ·
The stock axles available in the 1985 Chevy Camaro was either the 7.5 inch ring gear GM 10-bolt, OR the 7.75 inch ring gear 9-bolt commonly called the "austrailian 9-bolt".

The 9-bolt axle has very few parts available for it, my best source of axle info shows they only stock 3.73 gears for it.

They stock 2.73, 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56 gears for the 7.5 inch 10-bolt.

I may be wrong but I believe the 9-bolt was manufactured by Borg Warner.

#5 ·
best of my knowledge (and from what I`ve seen) the nine bolt didn`t appear in F body`s until 1988, the rest of the info given by MM is correct. They used this rear well into the early 90`s. It`s said to be a lot stronger than the 7.5, but as mentioned, few parts are avalible for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.