Hot Rod Forum banner

Z28 rear ends 9 bolt or 10 witch is better

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
Good morning to all I aim in need of some help I would like to know if a 9 bolt Borg Warner rear end is better then a 10 bolt rear end bouth rear ends are possi and from a z28 all disc brake I am going to install it in my 57 apache I was told the Borg Warner rear end is better end heavier duty 9 or 10 bolt witch is better thanks again cesar

#4 ·
Cesarj said:
Good morning to all I aim in need of some help I would like to know if a 9 bolt Borg Warner rear end is better then a 10 bolt rear end bouth rear ends are possi and from a z28 all disc brake I am going to install it in my 57 apache I was told the Borg Warner rear end is better end heavier duty 9 or 10 bolt witch is better thanks again cesar
I wouldnt put a piece of crap rear in a nice truck like your apache.
Find something from a newer truck, seriously, thats is too nice a truck to put in a rear like that. It probably wont last once you start having fun with it anyhow.If it is worth doing....do it right.

#6 ·
Gen three rearend

Seeing as I have had 9 gen three Camaro's I am familiar with both rears. I have had much better luck with the nine bolt rears as far as strength. The ten bolt can be made just as strong with axle tube welding, and girdles. I should warn you though that the 9 bolt only has a few available gear ratios and they sell for a pretty penny. I could almost buy a new posi unit for the price of a 9 bolt gear set. I will say that I ran a 406/th400/9 bolt combo on slicks and did not break it, BUT it was starting to get really sloppy after I hooked up a couple of wheels up launches. I agree with latech. If you can find a later model rear that was comparable in width; I would do that. :cool:

#8 ·
prostreet6t9 said:
What about using the original diff? They're actually a pretty good unit.
That is what I was thinking also.
Why not try a ford 8.8 inch swap. Independant suspension, lots had disc,and they are strong. The one from the supercoupes 89-up were a little heavier. they had larger side gears and axle diameter and cv joints.
Just a thought.and they had disc brakes like you were after.

#9 ·
Some of the older town cars had a solid axle rear and had disc brakes.
I dont see the need for disc brakes on the back as the rear only does 40% of the braking - tops.Unless your going to haul some weight It wouldnt be worth the money.
I really would be looking for another chevy gear for it, JMO

#11 ·
Planning on putting on some nice rims and tires you will be able to see the disc brakes all the way around but I am trying not to brake the bank , I am in the presses of fully restoring to orriganal a 1949 gmc frame of restoration but I ism trying to tinker with my 57 as a daily driver big mistake on my part working on 2 trucks at same figered I could pick up rear end cheap at bone yard trying to get biggest bang for the cheapest buck thanks for all your advice cesar

#16 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.