Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - zero decking block
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I go w/my own measurements, tell the shop that when I get it back I'd like it clean, bored and decked "X" amount. The only occasion I would be dragging it back and forth would be if the block had come to me bare and for whatever reason I was unable to mock up a bottom end for it.

While $600 for that work is fine, a lot of guys do not want or need the mains or lifter bores honed. Some don't want the block decked. Hell, some guys don't care one way or the other about torque plates for honing- even though it has been shown time and again to be worthwhile. But sometimes the budget or intended use doesn't justify spending a penny more than absolutely necessary.

There are MANY guys running good right now w/a dingleberry honed block, w/standard OEM pistons w/new rings, a fresh set of bearings, cam, lifters, timing set, oil pump and a gasket set along w/a valve job. They don't have $500 in the whole deal.

As an example:

$190.00 "Master Kit" from Northern

$250.00 rebuild heads

For that matter, a NEW GM 350 block is $800. It'll need finish honed.

It all hinges on what is needed and what is on hand.

EDIT- Almost forgot to say what a nice looking block that is. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing it would be just a skosh more than $600 for that work included w/the above.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-23-2010 at 03:16 PM.