Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - zero decking block
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I go w/my own measurements, tell the shop that when I get it back I'd like it clean, bored and decked "X" amount. The only occasion I would be dragging it back and forth would be if the block had come to me bare and for whatever reason I was unable to mock up a bottom end for it.

While $600 for that work is fine, a lot of guys do not want or need the mains or lifter bores honed. Some don't want the block decked. Hell, some guys don't care one way or the other about torque plates for honing- even though it has been shown time and again to be worthwhile. But sometimes the budget or intended use doesn't justify spending a penny more than absolutely necessary.

There are MANY guys running good right now w/a dingleberry honed block, w/standard OEM pistons w/new rings, a fresh set of bearings, cam, lifters, timing set, oil pump and a gasket set along w/a valve job. They don't have $500 in the whole deal.

As an example:

$190.00 "Master Kit" from Northern

$250.00 rebuild heads

For that matter, a NEW GM 350 block is $800. It'll need finish honed.

It all hinges on what is needed and what is on hand.

EDIT- Almost forgot to say what a nice looking block that is. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing it would be just a skosh more than $600 for that work included w/the above.
After running the block through the bake and blast you don't have a choice but hone the lifter bores or you lifter won't go in the bores. If a gouy is serious about decking a block the main line should be done first.

Why would anyone wnat to run a 9.025 deck so far all the blocks I have machined no one has asked for a 9.025 deck block. Plus you not goint o finfd a GM block with both decks at 9.025 as I have never seen one yet.

Interesting though!!!