Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Zz4 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/zz4-96338.html)

unstable2 08-22-2006 07:46 AM

Zz4

I just gotta know! The ZZ4 is on my wish list, but I have never sat behind the wheel of one. From you guys that own one, whats it like? Is it as strong as I've been lead to believe. Does it really have that kind of power "right out of the box". From what I've read it appears to be the strongest and most streetable engine to come down the road in quite a while. Remember I'm talking factory store bought here.

Give us your best example or story. Is it what everyone believes it is. Thanks....

hotroddr 08-22-2006 09:54 PM

3-4 years ago I put a ZZ4, Demon carb, in a 57 Chev PU, 3.7 posi. I expected better performance. I actually like my current Jon Barrett motor much better- but then I don't turn them up past 5,000rpm any more. Bill :)

Deuce 08-26-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable2
Give us your best example or story. Is it what everyone believes it is. Thanks....

I have owned a few ... and installed good many more for friends.
Good power with a warranty ...

As a general rule ... you cannot rebuild ( and do the job right ) a engine with that power and reliability for that much money. The only complaint I have is they do not sound TOUGH .. they idle fairly calmly. I much prefer the ZZZ and the ZZ1 over the ZZ4. I have the " Hot Cam " option installed and it is kind of mild ... ;)

unstable2 08-26-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce
I have owned a few ... and installed good many more for friends.
Good power with a warranty ...

As a general rule ... you cannot rebuild ( and do the job right ) a engine with that power and reliability for that much money. The only complaint I have is they do not sound TOUGH .. they idle fairly calmly. I much prefer the ZZZ and the ZZ1 over the ZZ4. I have the " Hot Cam " option installed and it is kind of mild ... ;)

Thanks. That is the kind of information I was looking for. I'm looking for something with a little "thump" to it myself. For me, the sound of an engine is just as important as the performance.

unstable2 08-29-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotroddr
3-4 years ago I put a ZZ4, Demon carb, in a 57 Chev PU, 3.7 posi. I expected better performance. I actually like my current Jon Barrett motor much better- but then I don't turn them up past 5,000rpm any more. Bill :)

What horsepower is your Jon Barrett engine? Having owned both, I would say you are in a good postion to evaluate the Barrett and the ZZ4. Do you give the Barrett engine a slight edge or is it a hands down runaway? Thanks your opinion......