ZZ4 cam for street motor??????'s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ZZ4 cam for street motor??????'s

Recently I had to replace my 383 due to a broken chinese crank.I'm replacing the 383 with a 96 truck 350 vortec headed longblock.I have a practically brand new ZZ4 camshaft and was wondering if this would be a good addition to the 96 vortec motor.I have a set of vortec heads that have been modified for .525 lift camshaft.The GMPP catalog said that the ZZ4 cam was a good mild idling cam,that produces lowend torque and horsepower.The add also said that the cam was perfect for street cars and trucks.The motor is going in a 85 chevy truck thats mostly used for truck stuff.Just the normal stuff driving here and there,going to Lowes for plywood or 2x4's,hauling aload of mulch for the wifes flower beds,and occasionally towing a 16ft trailor with my diesel tractor and bushhog about 200 miles one way to the hunting camp.I have headers,performer vortec manifold,hei,and 600 holley carb.The trans is a turbo 350 and I'm running 373 gears.I'm fully aware that they make low torque and towing cams but brand new they run about $300 to $330 dollars.I already have the ZZ4 cam and if it want work I'll just go with the stock cam thats in the motor.=What is the compression on a stock 96 motor?Since the motor is no longer fi and computer controlled will I need to run 93 octane gas or will I be able to use a lower grade(this is with both cams stock and ZZ4) .I believe I will need different valve springs ,which ones will I need?If you have any info regarding this I would greatly appreciate it,I'm right at the point of putting the motor in.Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

cam

I have that zz4 cam in a 302 in my malibu wagon. The thing idles at 800 rpms or so with excellent vacuum.

IMO it would be perfect for what your doing.
I am building a 383 for my 96 ext cab truck and that is the cam that is going in it.

Keith
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Kstar,think you very much for the reply.Will I have to replace the valvesprings on the modified vortec heads that I have.They came fromScoggin Dickey already modified for the .525 lift,I'm assuming that with the ZZ4 roller that they would need changing out.Can you give me a recomendation for the correct springs?Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you have the SD upgraded vortec head package you already have the right ZZ4 LT-4 springs for this camshaft. Lift is .474"-.510". It will work very well in your truck. If absolute lowest fuel consumption is more important to your purpose than horsepower, then the stock GM L-31 vortec motor cam will work fine too.
Better fuel mileage and low rpm grunt and efficientcy or more upper midrange and top end power and rpm. Your choice.

You have two good cams to work with.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-23-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Thanks for y'alls help its greatly appreciated.mupton

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.