Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4 camshaft

13K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  cdminter59 
#1 ·
I have a 305 tbi 91 and a guy offered my a zz4 camshaft and i was wanting to know if i can use it in my 305. What kind of upgrade would it offer in hp and torque.

Just to say he wants $40 and said he paid $300 will it work with the computer.

#2 ·
well its a 91 caprice 305 tbi roller motor i think cast iron heads shorty headers hot plugs and wires.

So the cam will work with stock computer but will be best with upgrade valve springs?

and for $40 is it worth it i dont want a race car just more sound and alittle more power.

#3 ·
I dont want to change my rear gear and i just rebuilt my trans with a corvette kit and new converterand i dont want to change it.

I am sure i read somewhere that the 305 and 350 tbi injectors are the same but the fuel pump and computer gave more psi.

I dont have a problem changing the cam and valve springs i will do a port polish thin also but i realy dont want to change everything.

#5 ·
you keep giving me all these high hp parts and $1000 converter and as i said I DO NOT WANT A DRAG CAR. I just want to know if this car will work with my computer and if my car will run with this cam. I just want alittle more hp and sound their are other people running this cam with tbi and stock parts.

#6 ·
I dont expect much from this 305 tbi as i said i dont want a race car i just want sound and alittle more hp.

Online the 91 caprice 305 tbi is rated at 170 hp if i can get it to 200 hp i will be happy its a show car not a hot rod, drag racer, street racer, ect...

I dont have a attitude with you im just telling you a 3000 stall in a show car not worth $500-$1000.

#10 ·
So what will it do to my car no gains in hp or sound and no power at the wheels.

On the other hand i will get alot better sound some power and more hp.

Its not making any sence to me how a bigger cam with 3 different seperation angle is going to make that much of a difference.

Yes i will need to add more fuel which a 350 chip will give easy but it will run and sound better thin befor.

#33 ·
Here is an article on understanding Lobe Separation Angle maybe it will give you more understanding of changing lsa. Also adding a larger duration cam puts the basic operating range in higher rpms. This is the reason for the torque converter and rear gear change. The stock torque converter can put a lot of load on the engine and kill vac at idle. TBI is a "speed density" system, meaning no mass air flow sensor, and meaning programing assumptions are made about the operating conditions such that if you change any of them (like exhaust flow, engine displacement, cam duration, etc.), you need to reprogram the assumptions in the computer.

#18 ·
Realistically? It could end up in the single digits but probabaly low to mid teens. I have known SOOO many guys over the years that have done what you're wanting to do and turned decent running cars into total turds.

The ZZ4 cam doesn't even have that much of a lopey idle, even in a 305. I'm putting one in a 305 for my truck BUT I'm building the engine from the block up to make use of the ZZ4 cam with Vortec heads, flat top pistons, 9.8 to 1 compression, aftermarket intake, Tri-Y headers and my truck already has the torque converter and gears to make it work. I'm counting on NOT hearing much cam.

#19 ·
I dont care about emissions controls the only thin i still use on my car is the o2 sensor i already took off my smog pump and i dont have a MAF and my car runs great.

I guess i need to ask this now is their any bigger cam that will work with my stock computer if i have to do valve springs thats no big deal that is in a OE motor.

My stock cam is 178/194 @ .050, .350"/.385", 109* lobe seperation 112

#22 ·
It's not about how clean your motor runs, it's about breaking the law. That makes you part of what's wrong with America. Nobody said that you have the freedom of choice to obey some laws and scoff at other laws that don't fit your lifestyle.

Moderators, don't get alarmed, I'm done on this thread.

#24 ·
I know the ramjet is EFI but summit which has the cam says its not computer controlled i like the cam for $175 its sweet. If you say that cam will work thats what i will get and i would like to know what size valve springs i need and would a port and polish be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.