Zz4 identification - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Zz4 identification

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify a gm crate engine? I bought this engine two years ago that the guy claimed is a 10yr old "never been run" zz4. It has all of the carictoristics of a zz4. Aluminum angle plug heads, plastic timing chain cover, block says "hencho de Mexico" ect. But the problem I see is every ware I've read says the stamp on the block must say zz4 and mine does not. Here is the number stamped in mine on the block near the water pump in front of the right cylinder head. 1M1221-2P04. Can anyone decode this for me?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Did you know that you could call up any GM dealer and they could look up that number?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM

I called my local gm dealer and the only number he could look up is the 8 digit casting number wich comes back as a zz block. The serial number I gave came back as built on dec 21st 2004. But he also said if it was a zz4 it should have that stamped at the end of it. Mine does not. Still don't know any more than I already did. Circle track engine maybe?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:48 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

What heads are on there? Chances are that if it has the L98 #463 heads it's probably the ZZ4. Normally "ZZ4" will be on the machine pad after the part number. It was on mine.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Heads are #10088113 cast under the right valve cover. I was also told that there should be a zz4 stamped after the serial number on the machined pad but mine does not. That's why I'm questioning wether its a tru zz4 or not.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Pretty clear that you don't. Heads don't have the right # and it doesn't have the zz4 stamp.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM

I looked up the head casing number is this website:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=671.html

Says its a 58cc corvette head. Isn't this the same size that were put on zz4's?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

What is it you want us to say? You bought a crate engine from some guy who said it was a ZZ4. You didn't check the numbers before you laid down the cash TWO years ago. Are you trying to sell it? If you're going to use it, what does it matter? You've identified the heads. You can pull the pan and see what the bottom end is. It's easy enough to measure your cam lift. What exactly is it you need us to say about your mystery engine? I'm not getting it at all.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

There's a slight misunderstanding here. The casting number is a 113 but the part number is a 463.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Just like to know what I'm putting in my car is all. This is my first engine install so I don't want to be telling people it's a zz4 if it isn't. Didn't think it would be that hard to decode if I had the serial number but even gm can't tell me what it is.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budz71
Just like to know what I'm putting in my car is all. This is my first engine install so I don't want to be telling people it's a zz4 if it isn't. Didn't think it would be that hard to decode if I had the serial number but even gm can't tell me what it is.
How deep is the oil pan? If it has an originally-installed deep sump pan (~ 7" deep; 7-8 qt., w/a kick out on the side), and stock-style v-covers w/two breathers on the driver side, you prolly have a circle track "spec" engine used for racing where the engines are basically run as-is. Some had tamper-proof hardware, some not. Look for bolts or tags that look different in some obvious way- I do not know exactly what was done to make them tamper proof (or more like tamper evident, i.e. it'll show if you jacked w/the engine to get inside it), but something will be obvious if it's one like that. If it's not a tamper proof engine, there will be no such thing, but it also won't say "ZZ4", either.

Otherwise you may have a clone of a ZZ4 engine. I would want to look closely at the cam to see if it was a flat tappet or hydraulic roller (or solid if aftermarket/non- GMPP crate engine), and to see what the numbers on it were. With that info and finding the deck height and the piston volume, the compression can be calculated (the nominal head volume is known). Knowing the CR will tell you if the cam is compatible.

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-27-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.