Hot Rod Forum banner

ZZ4 Short Block Info

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  boss350 
#1 ·
I have a lot of good extra parts and have been thinking about making my '40 chev coupe a resto-rod. I'm thinking about buying a ZZ4 short Block. I have a good set of Dart Heads, 2.02 - 1.60, 64 cc (early 90s vintage), Edelbrock Torker Manifold and Holly 3310, 750 carb. Would the ZZ4 work with all of this, and would it be a good combination. Do tell me to get the new heads, etc as I want to use the old parts, and if need be I just get an older 350 block and build that

#2 ·
ZZ4 heads have 58 cc's ...yours are larger so less compression

The ZZ4 cam is somewhat mild ....your intake and 3310 carb are better suited to a HIGHER RPM than what the ZZ4 cam is.

Lower compression and not enough camshaft and a carb that flows a good bit ......you be the judge...... :D

#4 · (Edited)
If you are talking about the 95-97 LT1 Camaro-Corvette cam #12551705 it is actually milder than what comes in the ZZ4.

LT1 #12551705 duration I:201, E:208 @.050 lift, Max lift I:.447", E:.459"

ZZ4 #10185071 duration I:208, E:221 @.050 lift, Max lift I:.474", E:.510"

Earlier Corvette LT1's (70-71) used cam #3972178 which was a mechanical flat tappet cam

A ZZ4 shortblock is a good building point from which to start, that has a bunch of really good heavy duty parts, but must be combined with the proper 58CC head to realize it's potential.

For Deuce: Your ZZ430, does it have the "hot cam" #24502586?

Vince

#6 ·
GCD1962 said:
Sorry, I meant the 70-71 LT-1 Mechanical Lifter cam
You certainly could run that cam in the ZZ4 shortblock, it is still availiable from GM Performance Parts.

#3972178 duration @.050" I:242 E:254 max lift I:.425" E:.455"

That is if you want to continually adjust lifters. It was fun when I was younger, but now a days I go all hydaulic. ;)

Vince

#9 ·
302/Z28 said:
Yes.

Vince
what is the best performance cam ( I will replace the timing chain with cam too) I can put in this vortec with out any head machine work ? a cam with as much lift and performance as the stock vortecs will take with out any machine work with the stock GM valve springs ? I guess I'm Looking 4 the best bang 4 the buck.

i've bought a 117,000mi 5.7 vortec to install in a 63 Nova project. plan is to use the 98 vortec 5.7 to get the car going and recoporate from the car restoration / build financially speaking, till I can build my forged bottom end 383 with a nice set of alum performance heads. I want, to run the vortec for a yr to a 1 1/2 yr time frame, till I can get my 383 built outa done out of my early 70s SBC 350 4 bolt main block done. will this stock vortec take a 75 or 100 shot of nos at the track a 1/2 a dozen Xs a yr ? and I will have a set of Vortec Heads for my parts stash in the end.

I could get wild and rebuild the vortec, but don't plan too. I just want to run it for a yr or two and enjoy it, I don't think I will rebuild it, this will be a 17 teen yr olds 1st rod. (this will be a good starter motor for him to learn on at the local drag strip)I think he will be responsible as far as taking care of it, and using his head since he will be in on every nut and bolt, lets just say he will help on everything done. plus helping financially too.

My Complete Plan
I'm Starting to Build a pro street 63 Nova 2Dr HT. plan is to be a 5yr project (Ladder Bar Rear frame and a narrowed ford 9", Big Tubs, Roll Cage, 14.5"W or wider Rubber on the Rear, 3 1/2" front Wheels, 4 wheel disc ect. ) I will be running a stock 65 front clip (No Money in my budget for a MII Front End, I can Not see a MII in my future) (including stock front frame, 65 radiator support and 65 fenders, and prob a stock hood at 1st) this is a father son project that is Not going to be a Daily Driver. prob some warm summer nite cruising and some 1/4mi Drag Strip time, like 6 + Xs a yr at the strip. I have A nice 72 stock 4 bolt main SBC std. bore 350 & a built 350Th tranny, the motor I want to build outa the 1972 350cid 4 bolt main is a 383 stroker somewhere in the 425HP 450HP Range. but with this size project (plan is 5yrs to Finnish) I need time to build it and time to save the funds.

Mustangsaly

#12 ·
what cam is best performance speaking ? that I can put in this 5.7 vortec with out any head machine work ? a cam with as much lift and performance as the stock vortecs heads will take with out any machine work with the stock GM valve springs ? LostI guess I'm Looking 4 the best bang 4 the buck.

thanks 4 helping

Mustangsaly

#15 ·
what cam would you recommend 4 a performance upgrade on a stock 5.7 vortec with carburetor & HEI ? a cam I won't have do any head machine work to for springs ect. I'm all 4 new springs & keepers, retainers ect. but don't want to do any head machine work for springs with more lift ect.

Mustangsaly

#16 ·
Mustangsaly said:
what cam would you recommend 4 a performance upgrade on a stock 5.7 vortec with carburetor & HEI ? a cam I won't have do any head machine work to for springs ect. I'm all 4 new springs & keepers, retainers ect. but don't want to do any head machine work for springs with more lift ect.
Mustangsaly

There has been input on this site about lift that vortecs can handle. Based on what I have read, the only way to know for sure is measure yours, then get a cam that will not ram the retainers into the valve seals.

You don't clearly state your intentions for this engine, so I personally prefer a CompCams XE series... probably 268* and definitely hydraulic lifters and their kit, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake for better low and midrange response.

If in doubt, stay small..... there is no better feeling than gut busting torque and snappy throttle response. How often will you be over 5000 rpm? 1-2 % of the time?

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/ georges drag strip

Attachments

#17 ·
it's a roller cam block, so I just planed on changing cam and timing chain and running stock roller lifters, It will be street driven (prob hard) and see the 1/4mi strip to see what it will do. it's not a daily driver. I want this vortec to get me by till I can recuperate from the car restoration / build financially speaking,

I will run a high stall converter 2800 plus and low rear gears 411s in a narrowed ford 9" with A ladder bar rear suspension.

till I can build my planed, forged bottom end 383 with a nice set of alum performance heads.

I want, to run the vortec for a yr to a 1 1/2 yr time frame, till I can get my 383 built done out of my early 70s SBC 350 4 bolt main block. B4 i'm done with this vortec I would like to add a 75 shot of nos at the track. and I will have a set of Vortec Heads for my parts stash in the end.

#19 ·
How much would you guys pay for vortecs becuz Summit has a set of vortecs they sell for $650? They come with upgraded springs rated to .520 lift, 175cc intake ports, ,1.94/1.50 valves, and screw in studs. That's cheaper than some of the other aftermarket iron heads. I plan on running a set with the xe268 or maybe a voodoo262.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.