Hotrodders.com Project of the Week
To see our Project of the Week archives, click here.
Part 2: Front Disc Brakes
In the last part I showed a couple of pictures of how I designed the disc brake caliper brackets to adapt mid-70's Torino brakes to the Willys spindles. I first made a 1/2" thick plywood model that bolted up perfectly, then drew a black line drawing for a flame cutter to cut a couple of steel plates. I drilled them on the drill press for the bolts. I then drilled the cast steel Torino caliper mounts for 3 cap screws that attached them to the brackets I just made. The whole thing bolts together great. I had to add a stack of 3 or 4 flat steel washers between the plates I made and the spindle to space everything out right. The following two photos show how they went together.
(Click photos to enlarge)
The third figure is a drawing of the bearing adaptor I made on a lathe from mild steel bar to adapt the Ford rotors to the Willys spindles. The outer bearing was a perfect fit but the inner bearing and grease seal were larger diameter and the distance was shorter between bearings in the Ford rotor than the Willys spindle, so the adaptor makes up those differences. I simply JB welded them to the spindles and the rotors bolted right on. Again, this looks like a lot of extra work but remember, no one was making kits at that time. Plus, it cost almost nothing and I love making junkyard parts do good things. (Click photo to enlarge)
(Click photo to enlarge)
Click here for Part 3: Fiberglass Hood
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Record your hotrodding project in our Hotrodders Project Journals. Add photos and information as your project progresses. Easy to use, and completely free. Click here to check it out.
|Hotrodders© 1999 - 2012 All Rights Reserved|