Hotrodders.com Project of the Week
To see our Project of the Week archives, click here.
Part 7: The Cab
With all the frame and suspension work completed, it's time to tackle the cab. In the pic below, you can see the rubbing on the rear of the cab. Two things caused this and had to be corrected. First, the bed head board had been shoved forward over the years, and second, the old original spot welds holding the lower back of the cab to the inner strengthening ribs had come loose. The head board was replaced and I re-welded the sheet metal to the inner ribs. I did add in a couple of 1"x1"x 1/8" tubing for additional strength. Next, I removed the old firewall by drilling out 58 spot welds (yuk) then when the Bitchin firewall went in, I had to weld and grind all 58 holes (double yuk). Then, I did a quick fit of the Vintage Air evaporator unit, followed by locating and cutting the holes in the dash for the two side A/C vents. You can also see where I have started removing some of the old polyurethane paint that was cracking and peeling.
The firewall is in and all the grinding done (whewwwaaaa). Also, the holes have been drilled for the heat and air lines, evaporator mounting, the remote power steering and brake reservoirs. Yep, the cab has been on and off the frame again to ensure clearances!
Click here for Part 8: Cooling System
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Record your hotrodding project in our Hotrodders Project Journals. Add photos and information as your project progresses. Easy to use, and completely free. Click here to check it out.
|Hotrodders© 1999 - 2012 All Rights Reserved|