Hotrodders.com Project of the Week
To see our Project of the Week archives, click here.
Part 4: Engine
The engine of choice for me is 350 SBC. It brought some minor challenges with the S-10 clip -- how far back to set it, steering, exhaust, etc. Something that was the hardest was deciding what spring rate.
I cut out the old firewall -- I had to trim some front frame off to fit inside the front fenders; with front steer it is close, I will have to deal with more of that later. I mocked in a front fender, and using an engine block, heads, long water pump and intake, I also had to notch for a fuel pump. I determined where I felt it would work the best, and used 3 inch channel for motor mounts to frame, and fabricated my own for the block.
The front springs that came with the S-10 clip weren't giving at all. I came up with a set of Moog springs, rated at 1250 lbs -- they seem to have a nice give to them. Also, when I set the block in the center of the harmonic balancer, the bolt was about 5 5/8 above the front crossmember. Block hugger headers worked out great where the motor is sitting. Steering seems to work in good too, I saved part of the old steering shaft that collapses and added new from there -- 2 u-joints with heim support bearings.
Click here for Part 5: Firewall
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Record your hotrodding project in our Hotrodders Project Journals. Add photos and information as your project progresses. Easy to use, and completely free. Click here to check it out.
|Hotrodders© 1999 - 2012 All Rights Reserved|