Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   01 Silverado pulls left. (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/01-silverado-pulls-left-518069.html)

AFX 11-07-2018 07:18 AM

01 Silverado pulls left.

I have been up and down for over a year trying to get this figured out.

01 silverado, crew cab, 2wd 200,000 plus miles.
Started pulling left over a year ago, thought it was a loose wheel bearing.
All these components have been replaced on both sides of the truck.
Long story/short... These parts are upper level " no auto zone. "

New Upper control arms, Calipers-left twice, Rotors, GM pads, Left brake line, Ball joints, Bushings, Steering rack, Tie rod ends, Front tires, Wheel bearings.
It still pulls left and that caliper still drags.
Could this be the brain that controls the ABS ?
Thanks for any responses

techinspector1 11-07-2018 03:24 PM

Did you check Car-Fax for accidents that might have involved the frame?

poncho62 11-07-2018 04:49 PM

Did you change the flex hose too?

Could be there is an obstruction in it, so that caliper can't release

Is ABS light on?

LATECH 11-07-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFX (Post 4633377)
It still pulls left and that caliper still drags.
Could this be the brain that controls the ABS ?
Thanks for any responses

Dragging caliper is a hydraulic problem
Most the only thing left will be the electro hydraulic ABS unit.

The valving inside allows pressure to be dumped, blocked or modulated application on each line independently . Could be a valve is stuck inside keeping the pressure blocked .

Loosen the bleeder see if the caliper releases. That will be a pretty good indicator.

AFX 11-07-2018 09:56 PM

I have had the truck for almost 10 years and it hadn't done it till a little over a year ago.

AFX 11-07-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATECH (Post 4633519)
Dragging caliper is a hydraulic problem
Most the only thing left will be the electro hydraulic ABS unit.

The valving inside allows pressure to be dumped, blocked or modulated application on each line independently . Could be a valve is stuck inside keeping the pressure blocked .

Loosen the bleeder see if the caliper releases. That will be a pretty good indicator.

That sounds like a good check. I hear it's not a cheap module. Thanks

AFX 11-07-2018 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=poncho62;4633507]Did you change the flex hose too?

Could be there is an obstruction in it, so that caliper can't release

Is ABS light on?[/QUOTE
Yes the brake line/ hose has been replaced.

The ABS light comes and goes for quite a few years now. It seems to turn off more in the wet.
I hear that is a common problem and it turns up to be a ground on the ABS module. I haven't looked at that yet.

cerial 11-08-2018 11:44 AM

These years have bad lines. They rust easily outside and inside. Remove your flex line and flush it pouring it into something clear while adding new fluid. Good chance you have a slug of rust debries

LATECH 11-08-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFX (Post 4633589)
That sounds like a good check. I hear it's not a cheap module. Thanks

Not that bad actually. Salvage yard units are fine. Just be sure to perform the automated bleed sequence after install.

The electronic parts can be re used from your unit,or you can leave it alone and use the whole yard unit.

Probably best to bolt on a complete unit.If the electronic part failed as well, that can be purchased remanned, or like I said , swap it out.
There are a bunch of little seal between the valve unit and the control unit that will need some silicone/dielectric grease applied to.It keeps them sealed from dirt/water .

Just sayin

johnsongrass1 11-08-2018 05:51 PM

I blame the hard line myself. Seen it happen a bunch of times.

Another clue would be the pads wearing funny. If one is thinner than the other the caliper could be sticking and if both are worn the same but not parallel to the caliper could be bound up on the spindle.

lmsport 11-10-2018 06:08 PM

I've a steering box pull to one side constantly, but that was after hitting a curb.

55 Tony 11-11-2018 09:20 AM

I've had my 2000 Express 3500 from new, I'd guess the brakes are the same. It always wore one pad more than the other, way more! Turned out the calipers were sticking, but only when they got hot. It's tough to explain where the bind was but I took a belt sander to both sides until they had more clearance. (precision work) One side I had to go back and do it more. They wear even ever since. Also recently changed a leaking rear wheel cylinder and holy crap the fluid was nasty! I bled all 4 corners until they ran clean.