1 step away from being a rat rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Last journal entry: Start over
Wiki Edits: 0

1 step away from being a rat rod

After a year of body work I'm finally ready to paint. I did the box first 9 months ago with PPG DCC single stage urethane. I made the mistake of covering it up with a tarp. It bubbled up and was ruined. Sanded it all off, re-primered (epoxy) and shot the whole thing. Paint had a lot of runs and the metallic was swirly. I went to a professional body shop and the guy said that I should have done BC/CC. I bought martin seinor from NAPA and it went on fairly well. There was a good amount of orange peel but was told that I needed to do a cut & buff. Using 1500 grit I've been sanding the begezzus out of it. If it's not 100% flat buffing it looks like crap. I'll sand it 100 times to get it flat but if I sand it 101 times I'll break through the clear coat and since the base coat is .000002" thick, I go straight to primer.
I really like the PPG as it's one step below powder coat in toughness. I applied 2 coats of clear but I'm thinking that I should have done like 6 so that I could sand it.
So, Do I sand it down w/600 and shoot it again with BC/CC only with 4 coats or should I go back to the PPG and and try to adjust my gun & technique. Gonna cost another $350 either way.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
If you haven't sanded through the clear into the base then just sand with 600 and shoot 2 more coats of clear. Sand it flat with the 600
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM

That's the problem. I have broken through in a couple of places so I guess that I've got to sand it down & shoot base all over again. The problem that I had with the PPG is that the metallic had uneven application. I think that I may have sprayed too heavy. I've got to tell you that cut & buff is a real PITA. With the DCC except for the swirls it was good to go and the stuff is dynamite tough.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 PM

I've decided to continue with the BC/CC. Going to sand down everything that's F-D up and shoot another coat or 2 of base then maybe 4 or 5 coats of clear on everything so that after sanding, there will still be something left. Most frustrating part of the build.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
All you really have to do is put some base color over the spots that were sanded through then clear but it cant be sanded with anything coarser than 600 or the sand scratches could show. You dont want it to look thick like it has three paint jobs on it. if it were me I'd just spot it in and shoot the clear. Unless you like painting and want to do it all again, other than that its just a waste of money and materials.
I wouldn't feel too bad about your first go at it, SS metallic is very hard to get looking good and good is all you'll ever get it because bc/cc will blow it away every time. SS solid colors are a different story, since theres no metallic to settle and look mottled or splotchy you can really lay it down slick and wet.when I do SS solid colors even I cant tell if its bc/cc or SS. it shines so nice everyone asks how many coats of clear is on it. SS metallic I wont even use. keep in mind when spraying base don't spray it wet like you would SS you'll have it way to thick and have problems. thin coats and watch the metallic, do NOT spray it slick and wet.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
belchfire (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:03 AM

I really wish that the paint store would have told me not to do metallic in SS before I spent $900 on it. Base coat sprayed very nice and the metal laid out evenly. Thanks for telling me that I can spot the bad places. I wasn't looking forward to shooting the entire thing again. The data sheet for the clear said 2-3 coats but maybe that's if you're not going to sand. I've only got 1 1/2 quarts left so I suppose I'll have to get more. Thankfully it's not like color so I won't have a mis-match.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in