Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   $129 HF Planishing Hammer Review (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/129-hf-planishing-hammer-review-123858.html)

cboy 08-13-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonhog (Post 2540042)
... I want to know if you still get use from this tool or if its a dust collector.

At the moment I am not using it, but that has nothing to do with the usefulness of the tool. Since writing my review we moved from WI to CA and I have not started any new car bodies or metal working projects since finishing the sedan delivery. I would still say, for the beginner or the hobbyist, this is a decent tool for the money.

timothale 08-13-2014 07:45 PM

Hf planishing hammer

1 Attachment(s)
My son has put a lot of hours on the one in the shop, the dies are now a little rough from some metal sclupture he was doing, I need to spin them in the lathe then re- harden them with some casenite, heres a pict of him working on the Lakester bucket. A 2 X 6 hung from the chain hoist on the gantry crane, some old weight lifting irons on one end to balance it.
cboy , the southworth 4 X 4 lift table is in the left side of the pict and a vise is in the corner slide in. IT retracts into a iron frame sunk into the floor. when it is down the top is level with the floor. the planishing hammer has a steel plate bolted to the base and a 1 " solid bar that fits in the slide - ins.

John long 08-13-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothale (Post 2541218)
My son has put a lot of hours on the one in the shop, the dies are now a little rough from some metal sclupture he was doing, I need to spin them in the lathe then re- harden them with some casenite, heres a pict of him working on the Lakester bucket. A 2 X 6 hung from the chain hoist on the gantry crane, some old weight lifting irons on one end to balance it.
cboy , the southworth 4 X 4 lift table is in the left side of the pict and a vise is in the corner slide in. IT retracts into a iron frame sunk into the floor. when it is down the top is level with the floor. the planishing hammer has a steel plate bolted to the base and a 1 " solid bar that fits in the slide - ins.

I love that! Now that is true hot rodding enginuity. :thumbup::thumbup:

John

22george 08-22-2014 03:37 PM

Yea, smarter than the average bear:thumbup::thumbup:

Great idea

Thanks

tech69 12-19-2014 02:07 PM

dusting off this thread cause I'm wondering if anyone has found any sources for different shaped anvils that fit the HF P Hammer? I will look and post any info I find but just wonder if someone out there knows of any that will work with it.

Nonhog 12-19-2014 02:16 PM

This might be helpful.

Planishing Hammer Dies Adapters

HEATNBEAT on the metal working forums use to make a stretching die.
I think he will again when the time is right. Pretty cool deal. Too bad he is out.

tech69 12-19-2014 02:28 PM

thanks for that. What are CP dies? I don't think Chicago Pneumatic makes them.

OneMoreTime 12-19-2014 04:19 PM

I just use a shaft that fits the tool and make a head for it and weld it on the shaft... Works fine so far..

Sam

Nonhog 12-19-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 2814818)
thanks for that. What are CP dies? I don't think Chicago Pneumatic makes them.

Use to. Hoosier might (can) ? make them.

timothale 12-19-2014 07:17 PM

beading dies

A few years ago I took the panel fab class, at UVU, they have a street rod, series of classes, I was over 65 and the "grandpa" cost was only $ 100 per semester, The regular students had to pay over $1100. They had a commercial planishing hammer, I don't know the brand, and an assortment of dies. You can do the beading and flanging with the right dies. The lower beading die has a tab welded to it that was held so it wouldn't rotate with a hose clamp. I used it a couple times when the pullmax was booked up . I have started building a smaller "pulmax" type machine out of a heavy cast iron frame from a carton stapling machine, you should be able to copy most of the pullmax type dies.

tech69 12-20-2014 09:01 AM

yes, they do some amazing things. I can totally see the point in stopping it from spinning. Thanks for all the advice guys. Once I'm done with my current project my in-between project will be to get my garage up to par, including the p hammer anvils.

1971BB427 12-20-2014 10:18 AM

I'm glad this thread was brought back into the rotation, as I missed it previously! That's a clever trick with the HF hammer hanging from an engine hoist to work as a portable planisher! Since I do very little of this type of work, I think this little HF tool would be a good addition when I get my shop built.

timothale 12-20-2014 07:42 PM

tin man utube

Kent White has a series of Youtube videos on using the planishing hammer, using different forming dies.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...0hammer%20dies

timothale 12-21-2014 08:11 AM

building your own dies

From the UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaaqxUbXv4

I see that he has a lower height adjuster, would work a lot better than the Harbor freight 3 position clicker.
I bought a couple sissor jacks for a buck apiece to use the Acme thread and nut.
ther have been a lot of posts about reworking the HF bead roller but nothing on the planishing hammer other than cBoys repairs, I had to do the same thing to mine after a couple days.