1936 Chevy Master Deluxe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1936 Chevy Master Deluxe

I own a 1936 Chevrolet Master Deluxe 1970's Streetrod build. I'm trying to improve the build but don't really know what to do about rear Shock selection and rear Shock mount location.
Current rear axle is 10bolt gm, it's connected to the vehicle via parallel to the frame leaf springs. The original shocks mounted were Monroe 33033, with the bottom connecting point the standard 12mm tapered shock stud attaching to the front inside leaf spring mount bracket. The shocks were almost straight vertical which caused the to be mashed on the bottom bell of the shock itself due to crush pressure when the shock was forced to work. The top mounts were connected to the upper frame rail, with bolt on stud mount which caused a bad misalignment of the shock, not totally straight up and down for upper mount to lower mount. I want to clean it up and get a better ride. The driver side leaf spring mount plate that holds the leaf spring to the rear axle, had a extended section of the mount that would allow a shock to be attached with a stud shaft at the bottom and a loop mount at the top. problem is, the hole for the stud mount is about 5/8" in diameter, and I don't feel I can find a bottom stud mount shock with the proper size shaft to safely attach the shock. If I move to this location for shock mount the shock the the shock will be placed between the leaf springs and the tire side wall. which then would force me to move it's top mount (to the outside of the frame rail.) Currently the shock is in-board of the leaf spring. The current mount system leaves the spring misaligned between upper and lower mount and causes the shock to bind on the rear axle housing, thus mashing the bottom bell of the shock.

If anyone has worked on the fat fendered 36-38 chevy cars and changed mount position of the shocks to rear axle, I'd like to hear what shock they used, and how and where they attached them to the frame rail as well as to the leaf spring mount plate or to the rear axle with different mount style.

Current specs on the Monroe 33033 is the following:
Top Loop mount is the L1 mount or 5/8" Inside diameter rubber bushing and the lower loop mount is the LS26 or 12mm inside diameter Rubber bushing but the shock comes with a steel sleeve that reduces the bolt size to 1/2". The Monroe 33033 has a collapsed length of 10-1/8" and an extended length of 14-5/8", with full travel of 4-1/2".

So my question for Hotrodder.forum. Should I change shock location to between leaf spring and tire sidewall on the bottom, and outside upper from rail, or stay where the mounts are currently located and don't worry about crush factor on the shocks.

If I go to the outside mount location, I'll have to change shock mount types, or change the bottom mount plate for the leaf springs.

If I use my current plates, and mount outside, then the driver side shock will be attached behind the axle and outside the leaf spring, while the passenger side will be mounted to the front of the Axle and between the Leaf spring and tire.

What's best, who has been there and tested and was satisfied, what was used for best results.
Respectfully

Liberty5601

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in