1936 Ford Firewall Mod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Wiki Edits: 0

1936 Ford Firewall Mod

Been a long while since I've posted anything, but here goes. Finally started working on a great 1936 ford humpback sedan project that I scored a couple years ago. We just want it to be a nice rod that the wife & I can drive everywhere, any time. To that end I would like to put the largest Vintage Air system in the car, but after mocking it up with cardboard boxes per instructions, I would prefer more room to mount the evaporator unit 3" or so higher up under the dash. This would give a lot more leg room inside the car. The car already has a new firewall with the notch for the sbc distributor. What I am wondering is; other than preserving some of the original look under the hood along the top curve of the firewall, is there an operational reason not to modify the firewall by raising the roof of the firewall on the right side? This would give plenty of room. I can't think of anything under the hood on the right side that needs that room. I have a 1933 Ply., & and the hood extends back over the top of the firewall for several inches like I am planning for the Ford on the right side. I'm hoping that if there's something I'm not thinking about, I'll find out before I modify the firewall. Thanks. Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,974 Times in 4,099 Posts
I see no reason why you couldn't other than it would be hard to do it and make it look nice. Here is a picture of my 36. There is nothing in the space.

John

Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 PM

36 Firewall

With the older cars there is very little space under the hood and even less leg room so to expand one really tightens up the other. The solution I found on my '33 Willys was to do away with the distributor. In my case I went to an LT1 which solved lots of problems. On the '39 I installed an LSx with a flat firewall. On the '39 I also went with Old Air. It hangs down a bit but If you look at all the new cars you can see the bottom of the A/C unit. If you just want to move the firewall back a bit, move the dash back a bit too. This will give the legroom. Did it on the Willys and made it feel much larger.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in