Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1941 Chrysler New Yorker Hot Rod
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,173 Times in 3,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks.

Lead worked great from the factory. Even 70 years later, it was still OK. Lots of horror stories, but my research tells me grains of sand from sandpaper lead to paint failures. (no pun intended) I used a body file only and made sure to leave it low for a skim of Bondo over the epoxy over the lead.

I will be using metal in the C pillars at chop time so I only see a wee bit more to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Did you notice the drawing taped to the fender in the last batch of pics?
O'course.

If it works for you, theres an idea. Easy pieces. Rough em all in, then fuss over fit.

Some lead did work great from the factory. Maybe not a whole car's worth at a time. On the muscle era stuff, my experience has been jab it with a screwdriver and twist it right out then fix rust. But on the prewar job I have now, there was some liberal usage of lead that was fine still. Probably comparing apples to oranges there.

Depending on the circumstances of course, the shop's go-to solution at factory overlaps on skin is cut and butt followed in preference by patching over. Only on roof corners, really though.

Keep a' goin....
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-21-2019)