1953 Chevy Pick-up with 1977 Nova subframe - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,669 Posts
This is a comparison ,with the weight of straight axle and 2 spring packs vs. the lighter stamped steel clip ,I guess weight might be close to same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0442.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	84162   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0444.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	84170  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 PM

On a stock Nova the center of the crossmember is about 6" from the ground. That's what I use to determine ride height. A G and F bodies are about the same.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Optimal ride height of a factory suspension re-assigned for some other application is not determined by anything except the angles between the various pivot points (outer ball joint center, inner bushings etc.) resulting in a roll center appropriate to the vehicle c/g height, with all things incl. tire diameter considered. All other dimensions are or should-be incidental. The constructor has to work it out from there.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
Optimal ride height of a factory suspension re-assigned for some other application is not determined by anything except the angles between the various pivot points (outer ball joint center, inner bushings etc.) resulting in a roll center appropriate to the vehicle c/g height, with all things incl. tire diameter considered. All other dimensions are or should-be incidental. The constructor has to work it out from there.
I agree! It seems like there are many variables.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You know what, I just got to thinking, the upper control arm shaft on these front ends is at an angle, it's called "anti-dive". The bottom ball joint may not move forward or back, but the upper one does, thus the hub mount ("axle") WOULD move forward and back thru the arch of the suspension travel. How much it goes down when the weight is in it would determine where that axle/hub mount ends up. Like I said, I am sorry, I need to KNOW things and I wouldn't personally do that, just my opinion, that is why I did as I did so there was no doubt.

Brian
Well, I guess I need to do some experimenting to see how much movement there is. Personally, I feel 3/4" would be a huge amount of shift.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,882 Times in 4,383 Posts
Or you could replace the shocks with all-thread just as I did.

Brian
Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,670 Posts
Quote:

Brian
This is how I've done it also, and have been told by several good sources to squeeze it down until the lower A-arm is parallel with the ground. This gets the roll and anti dive characteristics, along with the camber curve during suspension travel very close to factory intended behavior for the subframe's original application.

Worked out well for the '52 Ford truck I did for a friend, using a mid-70's Camaro subframe.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM

It just makes perfect sense to me. It's like test fitting a door before painting it, it's VERY good time spent. The time spent trying to figure it out without doing this takes longer than just putting the all thread and setting it up at actual ride height.

Brian
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It just makes perfect sense to me. It's like test fitting a door before painting it, it's VERY good time spent. The time spent trying to figure it out without doing this takes longer than just putting the all thread and setting it up at actual ride height.

Brian
I have not had any luck finding the ride height specs. All I am finding are the schematics for frame dimensions and heights, but nothing about the distance from the rubber bumper.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM

As others have said, if the lower control arms are level, you are there. Level forward and back and side to side. If you looked under the front bumper of that 77 Nova the control arms would be level from the frame to the spindle.

Brian
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
As others have said, if the lower control arms are level, you are there. Level forward and back and side to side. If you looked under the front bumper of that 77 Nova the control arms would be level from the frame to the spindle.

Brian
Ok, so the bottom control arms are banana shaped. Where are you leveling them from side to side? Is it across the cup that the coil spring sits in?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM

I'm sorry I don't have one of those cars in front of me so I can't say.

Post the question at the Team Nova site and someone should be able to take a photo of theirs. Team Nova and Chevy 2 Automotive Technical Question & Answer Forum - Novas.net

Brian
Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilman181 View Post
Ok, so the bottom control arms are banana shaped. Where are you leveling them from side to side? Is it across the cup that the coil spring sits in?
The pivot points are what matters. If you could measure from the ground up to the bottom of the lower ball joint near the wheel and add 3/4" or so to get the height to it's center...then measure from the ground to the center of the bolts that go through the lower a-arm bushings, at their other end...and have those be the same, then the lower control arms would be "level".

If at the level position your upper a-arms are angled down at all, even a tiny bit which they probably are, then your roll center is going to happen to be at the height where you just measured your lower ball joint centers and bushing centers, like six inches or whatever. That's good for a car but for a truck you'd want the roll center up a bit...attainable by increasing the dimension of the inner pivot point over the outer, by an inch or two as a flying guess. I.E., raise the suspension a little.

Would be best to have it drawn out or have a working model, and it might make more sense. At any rate, don't be fooled by any shape of particular components...it's all about the pivot points.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Brian
Brian, just so that I understand this I am not compressing the spring between the upper/lower control arms, correct?

If I replace the shock with all thread, then I am pulling the lower control arm up since the top of the shock is stationary. Isn't this going to result in the spring pushing the upper control arm up? Thus "abnormally" shifting my spindle location along the arc?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:37 PM

RANDY??????????????????

I am still puzzled by the "lower ball joint" as centerline of work.

If I am reading this right, the spindle location will shift forward when under weight.

Right now, my lower ball joint center is 3/4" behind my spindle centerline. By your process, I need to shift my Nova subframe 3/4" forward. If I do so, that will have my spindle 3/4" front of center WITHOUT any weight on the chassis.

If the spindle moves forward under weight, then WITH weight that will make my wheel even farther forward in the wheel well.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in