1959 Cadillac horn/ battery problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1959 Cadillac horn/ battery problem

Have one for the "what were you thinking? Oh wait. You weren't." category.

I have a 1959 Cadillac that I have put back on the road. Not being extremely familiar with these cars and learning as I go, I have made assumptions about how things work and how parts should fit.

One of the most recent projects was putting a battery in the car. Simple right? Nope. Appears I was more than capable of fouling this up.

I put the battery backward which means the positive cable went on the negative post and the negative cable went on the positive post. The horn immediately started blowing but I ignored it thinking (or wasn't thinking) the horn was stuck and I turned the key and nothing. The car didn't start and the horns died.

The car now starts and runs fine but the horns have not worked since then. I did replace the horn relay with what AutoZone and the internet said was the proper relay. Traced the wires from the horns to the firewall and didn't see any inline fuses that may have been blown. I put a tester on the wires and they do not seem to have power to them. Not sure if power is engaged at the horn button contacts. Everything else seems to work fine.

Question is: how do I get the horns working again?
is there another fuse I didn't see? Are my horns fried? I don't feel especially safe driving 5000lbs around with drum brakes and no horns.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in