1965 El Camino, which chunk for 9inch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1965 El Camino, which chunk for 9inch?

Hello,

My cars currently situated with a one tire fire, which just ain't cutting it since i've dropped in a 454 with a few upgrades. The one legger was bearable when I had a 327, I would just throw some sandbags in the bed and I was good to go. Now not so much. With the help of big gear head I was able to locate an affordable 9 inch vehicle specific alternative see here

https://www.quickperformance.com/QP-...kage_p_15.html

I just need to find a chunk for it, but I'm not sure exactly what would be most suitable.
I'll be browsing craigslist and checking with friends who may know someone selling one.
Right now, I've got 3.73's since my car came from the factory an inline 6 cyl and a 3 speed. I'd like something similar.

Advertisement

Last edited by LowNLOUD; 09-17-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,276 Posts
Quick Performance will build you a chunk with a Eaton Truetrac, new gears and bearings and a used Ford case and pinion housing. This could get you a good chunk at a lower cost than what it would be with a new case and pinion housing. There are also a lot of used chunks out there, but you have to be careful that you don't get someone's junk.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Quick Performance will build you a chunk with a Eaton Truetrac, new gears and bearings and a used Ford case and pinion housing. This could get you a good chunk at a lower cost than what it would be with a new case and pinion housing. There are also a lot of used chunks out there, but you have to be careful that you don't get someone's junk.
I have heard of Eaton before. Supposedly they make a really solid posi when you take off, the burnout lines look identical and are within an inch of each other in length. What I really mean to ask, is how do I know the chunk is compatible for that rear end assembly? & I was not aware I could purchase a used housing and axle from the site this is good news

Old 09-18-2019, 05:48 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,276 Posts
The housing and axle package will either come with 28 or 31 spline axles. That is your choice, but 31 spline is the way to go. Then you need a chunk with a 31 spline differential and the gear ratio of your choice. Any 9 inch Ford chunk with the correct number of splines will work in it, but choose the one with the gear ratio and LSD that you want. There are also different yokes that you can choose. Your car will have 1310 U joints in the drive shaft, so a 1310 yoke will make things easier. There are long and short yokes for the 9 inch, but I've found that the long yoke usually works best with a stock length drive shaft. Yours may be different. The guys at QP can probably help you get the correct length yoke for your car.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Look on ebay, lots of used NASCAR 31 spline diffs with G-Force lockers and all good parts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-9-Nodu...4383.l4275.c10
Old 09-19-2019, 12:51 PM

My 9" ham came from QP and I'm happy with it. I shopped around and would advise against buying anything on eBay, save for a very few sellers.

I have their Eaton Truetrac, which was $820 2 years ago, now is $945. But still a good deal and it looked beautiful.

Tags
1965, 9inch, abody, chevy, rearend

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in