Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1966 GTO ... sees the sunshine for the first time in 30 years ..

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Hippie 
#1 ·
:)

In 1972 ... My brother got his first car. Not just any car, not a old hand me down car but his first car was a 1966 GTO :D He was a teenager and he drove and enjoyed it ... but unlike his older brother ( ME ... :cool: ) he did not race it, tear it up or work on it to make it faster. He just maintained it and kept it clean ( the boy learned from my mistakes :rolleyes: ) . The car came from the original owner so this is a two owner 1966 GTO.

After a few years, the transmission died in the GTO and it was stored. Not forgotten ... not abandoned ... just stored. TODAY ... it came out of storage. It will undergo a complete restoration soon. My Dad passed away and we are selling the building the GTO was stored in.

The 66 GTO is all original except the 69 Chevelle SS rims. Never cut, modified or butchered. All numbers matching GTO. I will post a photo of it later ... taken in 1972 ... when the GTO was in its prime.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
NOT ME ... :D

He is paying someone to do it ... $$$
My tools only work on old Fords ... pre WWII ...

I just do not want to mess with it. My schedule is full with my 32 3W project ...

#6 ·
You Know Something?

The 1965, 1966 and 1968 GTO was (were) beautiful cars. And they held their own on the street (plus the high school chicks just loved them-mine had to ride in a '57 FORD).

If I had not became a FORD NUT, PONTIAC would have been the logical choice... :thumbup:

#7 ·
Bryan59EC said:
Me thinks I see a 64 Impala in your garage. :D

Bryan
WELL ... :rolleyes: It belongs to a friend ... the 3W was at his place ...

He has a paint room ...

KULTULZ said:
If I had not became a FORD NUT, PONTIAC would have been the logical choice... :thumbup:
GTO's were NICE ... but I was a Big Block Chevy man ... but I did buy a new 1972 Trans Am ... 455 HO ... as my family driver ...

My brother is excited about restoring the GTO.
Typical story ... marriage, than a family ... work ... college expenses ect ... all have delayed the restoration.

NOW is the time ... and it will happen.

Deuce ...

#10 ·
You mean you guys still have sunshine there? I go to work its dark, and dark again when I go home. Even better today snow was falling.
Cool, I like the old goats. Having an original unmolested one should make a few people jelous. It would have been a better story though if it were something like it was abandoned and uncovered and found all original in really good shape. :D You know kinda like the guy that had all those big blocks stashed away in semi trailers and a yenko camaro, ect. Then you would have the magazines beating on your door to cover the story.

#11 ·
It is really neat to see a car resurrected and started on again after years in storage. Most of us don't have the luxury of storage buildings in the familt to stash goody cars we have tired of or worn out.
Hope the build goes quickly, the quality is high, the price is reasonable, and the fun is forever!!

#14 ·
That is a nice Goat! 1966 The best year of GTO in my opinion. I had a 1968 and sold it :( too soon. I should have kept it. I knew the lady (our neighbor) who owned it and watched her drive it everyday as a small lad growing up in the Midwest. I should have kept that car. Man I should have kept that car. Somebody kick me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.