1970 Chevelle body questuons - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1970 Chevelle body questuons

Hi all, so I'm looking at getting a reproduction body shell for my project and up front using a fiberglass one piece front clip and I'm wondering what parts I'll need to buy to mount the grills, headlights, and bezel adapters for the intake tubes where they would be on a steel body? Probably the bigger question is how I would go about mounting the clip itself to the body? I'm looking at one from VFN Fiberglass, how is the quality from them? Do they mount basically the same as fiberglass fenders?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,892 Times in 4,389 Posts
Wow, that is a post that would require 10 threads and 100 responses to get all the answers!

Slow down and start with one of the questions.

Without seeing the front clip there isn't much we can say other than you would glass in "brackets" on the clip matching the original ones on a fender to mount the clip to the body. If you are going to make a tilt you need to make the hinge supports at the front and it will more "fit" with the body when it closes not so much "mounts" to it.

Brian
Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 PM

Oh and my opinion is to FORGET the reproduction body and buy an original.

Brian

Old 12-31-2017, 04:33 PM

The problem is I can't find an original '70 in my area. As for the front clip I'm not gonna make it a tilting one, if I need more access to the engine I'd take the hood off and if that's still not enough access I'd pull off the clip, although I guess the smarter thing would be to let the shop that I get it painted at handle that. Paint and body work to me is JFM, I don't know enough about it to try my hand, especially on a car of this level combined with the paint color it'll get on it, IIRC it's called Nightshade blue with both pearl and candy in it, and then combine that with the two tone clear, gloss on the bottom part of the car and satin on the upper, I'll have to see if I have a picture of what I mean when I go on break

Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,679 Posts
I did a Monte Carlo SS with a friend, who used a VFN one-piece front clip with a separate hood, and doors.....and as far as I am concerned the VFN stuff was among the worst quality I have yet to see in a fiberglass piece. Run, don't walk, in the other direction. Awful stuff.

It was thin, flimsy "race weight" stuff, not very straight at all, so thin it would flex under the longboard block when you were trying to block the surface flat. Doors were as bad or worse. $3000 of junky crap.

GlassTek, Harwood, Advantage Fiberglass are all better, IMO even US Body Source is a little better than VFN....about the only thing as bad is Unlimited Fiberglass.

All that grill, headlight, trim mounting stuff is all custom made, by either you or your chosen shop.....here is no pre-made bolt-on parts for that kind of thing. There is bareky a minimum amount of stuff like that for the most common fiberglass deal out there, the 67-69 Camaro.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powellbr View Post
Hi all, so I'm looking at getting a reproduction body shell for my project and up front using a fiberglass one piece front clip and I'm wondering what parts I'll need to buy to mount the grills, headlights, and bezel adapters for the intake tubes where they would be on a steel body? Probably the bigger question is how I would go about mounting the clip itself to the body? I'm looking at one from VFN Fiberglass, how is the quality from them? Do they mount basically the same as fiberglass fenders?

Thanks in advance.

Go out of your area. Honestly, first off a reproduction body is a BODY nothing else, no mouldings, bolts, brackets, hinges, seals, covers, springs, strikers, NOTHING. So by the time you search everything out and buy it all you could have bought a driver. You could have found one on craigslist, drove 3 states away with a truck and trailer and brought it home. You could have bought one in another country and had it shipped, please tell me why this is impossible. Maybe it is, I am not being a smart ars, I don't know where you are, if you are on the Island of Cyprus and you could be I have no idea, maybe there is a reason but damn it doesn't make sense to me.

Brian
Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 PM
I bleed FORD blue!

I've never touched one of the repro bodies, but from what I read around the web, they are not perfect copies. Lots has to be done to make stock parts fit to them, if they will even fit then. Not saying all are that way, but some.

Be prepared for some serious metalworking.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

why mess up precious metal when the problem is in the fiberglass? Fiberglass is not the way to go.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,294 Times in 3,114 Posts
Powell, I think the guidance you are getting so far is fair, and I don't have much to add because I have not done a very similar build. But (and his is where I spare you by not spewing out my credentials) if a hundred grand is way out of your range, maybe you would be better off buying a finished car. That statement is based on my experience and the ideas expressed in your posts. I'd rather not try to explain it all out, but if you will have a shop do it, be ready. If you even had a rustbucket but complete '72 Malibu, that would help. But if you have nothing to start with and want a pro touring type build, a go-anywhere fast and look good car... see Brian's post.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

I show you in Fayatteville, Arkansas, heres some right in your back yard.

https://springfield.craigslist.org/p...384146399.html

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/pt...444256946.html

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/d/1...391487488.html

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/d/a...432715860.html

A '69: https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/d/1...366430915.html

With a basic body you can buy doors, fenders, hoods all day long at quality venders.

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
If he is in Fayetteville then I'm in his back yard! But Springfield, Tulsa, and LR are all a couple hours away.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
If he is in Fayetteville then I'm in his back yard! But Springfield, Tulsa, and LR are all a couple hours away.
A couple of hours spent getting an original car is a lot better than 1000 hours spent on a reproduction body.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
68NovaSS (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A couple of hours spent getting an original car is a lot better than 1000 hours spent on a reproduction body.

Brian
Thats a couple hours each way, towing. Plus maybe not scoring when you get there. A thousand hours is not likely to be the difference between making a survivor rust free and using an aftermarket shell. So yeah but you might be exaggerating just a little there. And buying a donor car to get all the pieces is often part of a big build. To me, the difference I don't like is the metal is probably not as thick on the aftermarket body. Theres just not a low buck alternative if you don't do the body work yourself.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I know, I was just showing it wouldn't take a major road trip for a nice part if found nearby.

I probably have a much different idea what a long ways is, heck, I drove for 8 hours each way to pick up a rough '70 GSX in the lower 48, and didn't think anything of it. Then again, I'm retired.

Semper Fi

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in