1972 Camaro front fender gaps - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2018, 08:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Yes that too, the cowl vent and front upper and lower valence panels will tell you when your fenders are sitting at the right distance apart from each other, without those in place the tops of the fenders could be way off only to be found out when you try to install them later . lay the cowl down and snuggle the fenders up to it then the valences too.
I noticed the big ledge on the rocker too, suggesting the door bottom needs to come out but first things first too much info all at once might just further confuse you.
This can get frustrating to say the least so if you find yourself cussing and getting mad just walk away from it. When you come back, play your favorite music and relax, no sense throwing a hammer or your favorite tools, patching holes in the walls just makes MORE work for you.
Something else to remember, focusing on one spot or gap and making it perfect is a waste of your time because when you get to the next panel you may very likely find that it all has to be loosened up and readjusted so just get them close and put ALL the sheetmetal on then tweek them as a unit. I only put a few bolts in and just snug them finger tight. A lot of the time the support has to be slid one way or the other with everything attached this affects the fender to gaps also hood gaps too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
22george (02-18-2018), John long (02-18-2018), suds788 (02-18-2018), tech69 (02-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Yes that too, the cowl vent and front upper and lower valence panels will tell you when your fenders are sitting at the right distance apart from each other, without those in place the tops of the fenders could be way off only to be found out when you try to install them later . lay the cowl down and snuggle the fenders up to it then the valences too.
I noticed the big ledge on the rocker too, suggesting the door bottom needs to come out but first things first too much info all at once might just further confuse you.
This can get frustrating to say the least so if you find yourself cussing and getting mad just walk away from it. When you come back, play your favorite music and relax, no sense throwing a hammer or your favorite tools, patching holes in the walls just makes MORE work for you.
Something else to remember, focusing on one spot or gap and making it perfect is a waste of your time because when you get to the next panel you may very likely find that it all has to be loosened up and readjusted so just get them close and put ALL the sheetmetal on then tweek them as a unit. I only put a few bolts in and just snug them finger tight. A lot of the time the support has to be slid one way or the other with everything attached this affects the fender to gaps also hood gaps too.
Thus the "Basics of Basics" on how to take a photo and look at panel gap!

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...it-499546.html

The cowl doesn't have a removal vent that I remember, the hood goes up to the windshield.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
suds788 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Camaro Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
Question that hasn't been asked...has the rocker been repaired or replaced, and because of that it extends too far forward??

Or is the rocker original, and the fender is the problem??

Just looking at the door fit, it appears the rocker is too long, extends too far forward compared to the end of the door..

Thanks for responding the rocker is original - I'm assuming it's something with the fender as I didn't have any problem mounting the new passenger side fender - and they both came from same supplier.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,854 Posts
Whats up with the dent on the door edge, how bad is that?

Are any of the fender bolts in place?

Is the core support in place?

It looks to me as though the first thing needing to change is the fender coming down at the rear. First place my eyes would go is to the 3 bolt holes at top rear... one in door jamb, one at firewall, and one vertical on the wiper cowl.

Find out which of those is first to prevent travel back and down. Let the bottom and front hang loose for now, and ignore the big body lines. Just get the top rear of the fender to go down and back. First thing I suspect is the firewall bolt area. Often, the tab next to the hood hinge bolts is bent or needs to be. That inner brace of the fender is obviously the most difficult area to manufacture, and is where most issues arise.

If bolts are in, loosen those three and see who is aganst the edge of their bolt hole now. Then report please. As a reference, it is not unusual to have a couple days in making a troublesome fender fit. But refrain from guessing how to remedy conflicts you find until you can clearly show us all of them that you find. Again, disregard the big body lines if not level at this point.

My bet is that a mount tab is bent or out of position on the fender at the firewall or pillar and that if you bend to fix, the vertical fender bolt hole at cowl will no longer be directly over the hole in the body there.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
[QUOTE

The cowl doesn't have a removal vent that I remember, the hood goes up to the windshield.

Brian[/QUOTE] Right you are Brian, for some reason I was thinking 69 Camaro. 70 and up need the hood on along with everything else.
A few more of your basics of basics and there wont be any need for human interaction at all. Or experienced pro's, All we really need is writers.
Which reminds me, when adjusting doors and hoods and decks be sure to remove the latches or strikers until they are positioned where you want them, they go in last when your gaps are done. I use 2" masking tape to hold the doors shut until then.
I'd explain how to properly adjust strikers and latches but that is done after all this is finished. No sense jumping the gun.
Hey, Hows my spelling?
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
suds788 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

spelling tutorial coming soon?

try to get that door out. That's gonna change the appearance of the gaps. they need to be flush with your rocker and fender. Your fender floats but your hood gap, and door gap will tell you where it needs to be flush wise. Being that far in/out is so much that by not addressing that first you might be thinking too far ahead due to the fact the gap will change once flush. Anywho, tabs or jambs. Look closely at what's holding it. A little twist here, a little twist there, maybe wedging a spoon in the gap. Last case scenario you can shim up your support but I'd check your subframe mounts and bushings before that. I'm betting it's your jambs or tabs like Idrivejunk mentioned, but first get it flush or close. that would be your door tilt bolts on the door jamb. Do one at a time or the door will drop. Loosen one hinge and push out hard and tighten. Do the same for the lower. The upper might have to go back in but the lower stays to the rocker, and so fender has to come in to match door bottom. Also be sure you have factory fender bolts with the teeth. Putting anything else down low won't hold if you're asking it to hold a gap for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
suds788 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Camaro Gaps

THANKs to all for your valuable info - PUT some music on a rethought the situation - finally found a preform tab on the bottom side of the fender that wasn't allowing the fender to curl under like it should - cut aprox 1/4" of the tab off problem solved - Again thanks for the in put it was all good info
The Following User Says Thank You to suds788 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds788 View Post
THANKs to all for your valuable info - PUT some music on a rethought the situation - finally found a preform tab on the bottom side of the fender that wasn't allowing the fender to curl under like it should - cut aprox 1/4" of the tab off problem solved - Again thanks for the in put it was all good info
WHAM BAM, sounds good! Yep, modify what is wrong to fit what is right.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
suds788 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds788 View Post
Thanks for responding the rocker is original - I'm assuming it's something with the fender as I didn't have any problem mounting the new passenger side fender - and they both came from same supplier.
You got that right, Some sweat shop in China. That's where they all come from.
I know one guy who had to cut the spot welds and tweak the fender to just to get them bolted on the car.
What do the hood to fender and header gaps look like.?
Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to GNX-438 For This Useful Post:
suds788 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,635 Posts
It looks as if the front of the door has been repaired at sone time ,could be tweaked a little,,these pictures are of my 77 Z28 the bromn picture it was about a month old,and the Red about 5 years age,(same car )as you can see they did not have good seams when new,,GM was just interested in getting them out the door Corvette was the worst of al GN cars for fit and finish,

that being said I normally fit the door first then the fender on a Camaro if you see one perfect it has had a LOT of work ,notice the oeak in the center of the door it will Never fit perfect if it does the door will not open (design flaw ) but you can get it close..might have to zoom pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_20171018 (3).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	410937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie 77 Z28.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	410945  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
suds788 (03-04-2018)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in