1979 camaro tail light problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Last journal entry: 1979 Camaro Berlinetta
Wiki Edits: 0

1979 camaro tail light problem

I have a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta. When I turn the lights on (parking or head lights) the drivers rear brake light comes on and the drivers side blinker blinks slower then the right and if the lights are on the drivers side blinker just turns on but does not blink. Any help? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor

Might be a ground issue. Try running a temporary ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery and then use it to see if the problem goes away when you touch the temporary ground to the light socket housing.

If that fixes it run a dedicated ground wire from the socket to the frame.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 PM

1979 camaro tail light problem

Have you checked the signal flasher yet? Also check your bulbs filaments. Like was said early check the light socket and make sure it is grounding to the taillight panel. If the sockets look to be in bad shape replace them with new ones.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Bulk head connector is a problem on those. I know, I have a 78 Z28. If your grounding to the core support , its not grounded very well. I ended up running a 10 ga. wire from the frame to the core support. You'll get a voltage loss from the bulk head connector. I took mine apart an did my best to clean all those male & female connections but I still only had 10 1/2 volts at the bulbs. Mine were dim but there brighter now.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
Bulk head connector is a problem on those. I know, I have a 78 Z28. If your grounding to the core support , its not grounded very well. I ended up running a 10 ga. wire from the frame to the core support. You'll get a voltage loss from the bulk head connector. I took mine apart an did my best to clean all those male & female connections but I still only had 10 1/2 volts at the bulbs. Mine were dim but there brighter now.
Pack those bulkhead connectors with GE Silicone Grease. Keeps moisture out, and makes a better contact point.

On the OP's question; a poor ground can create all sorts of problems and feedback issues.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroMatt View Post
I have a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta. When I turn the lights on (parking or head lights) the drivers rear brake light comes on and the drivers side blinker blinks slower then the right and if the lights are on the drivers side blinker just turns on but does not blink. Any help? Thanks
Could be as simple as a bad bulb, filaments touching. You need a test light and some time to track the issue down. pull the bulb and check the two contacts at the bottom of the socket. With the lights on one should have power and the other shouldn't. If that looks ok then either the socket is somehow broken or the bulb is no good.
If with only the lights on you have power to both pins then there is a wiring issue somewhere.
I have seen people put the wrong bulbs in and cause issues like this

Chet
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

So how I got confessed between the front an rear. The rear break lights & blinks, IDK........
One thing I know for sure if all the wiring were replaced for the all the rear lights everything would work 100% better. Get your voltage meter, turn on the lights an look at the voltage your getting. 9 volts? 10 volts? Causes for this, bad connections, bad grounds, brittle wire, thin wire. I was at the local pick n pull not long ago an notice that Volvo has a seperate fuse panel that's in the trunk for everything that's electrical in the rear of there cars. Good idea.

Tags
brake light, camaro, electric, lights, wireing

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in