1979 K25 front axle alignment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 PM
I invent stupid usernames

Wiki Edits: 0

1979 K25 front axle alignment

I have what I think is a problem with my 1979 GMC K25 where the front axle is shifted off center toward the driver side. The driver side tire is flush with the fender, and the passenger side is about 2 inches in from the fender. I know I have a sagging leaf on the pass. side because it leans to that side in the front, but what could cause the axle to be off center. The passenger side tires follow the same track, but the front driver side is about 2 inches outboard of the rear tire. Another thing I noticed, which could just be an illusion due to the truck leaning, is that the passenger side tire has more negative camber than the driver side, which looks to be straight up and down. Any help is appreciated, I want this thing to track straight

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 07:16 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Are you sure you have the right type and size of wheels on the front? I've never seen stock steel 8 bolt GM wheels with more offset, but they used 8 bolt wheels on 3/4 ton trucks from different manufacturers. A wheel from the wrong truck would probably bolt on, but might have a different offset. Another possibility is that one of the hubs is different from the other.

If it has the correct front axle and the spring perches are not bent, there isn't much else that's adjustable to shift the axle from side to side. You can adjust camber at the knuckle, but I wouldn't worry about that until you get the axle centered and even from side to side.

IIRC, my K25 front wheels are lined up just inside the lip of the front fender. I've attached the best picture I could find that was taken at an angle that lets you see the alignment better. This is with 16" steel wheels and 245/75R16E tires.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image072.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	441383  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
Are you sure you have the right type and size of wheels on the front? I've never seen stock steel 8 bolt GM wheels with more offset, but they used 8 bolt wheels on 3/4 ton trucks from different manufacturers. A wheel from the wrong truck would probably bolt on, but might have a different offset. Another possibility is that one of the hubs is different from the other.

If it has the correct front axle and the spring perches are not bent, there isn't much else that's adjustable to shift the axle from side to side. You can adjust camber at the knuckle, but I wouldn't worry about that until you get the axle centered and even from side to side.

IIRC, my K25 front wheels are lined up just inside the lip of the front fender. I've attached the best picture I could find that was taken at an angle that lets you see the alignment better. This is with 16" steel wheels and 245/75R16E tires.

Bruce
The wheels are not stock, but they are all 4 the same. Tires are 235/85r16. I'll take a look this coming week and see if I can find anything off about it

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post

Bruce
Youre K25 is beautiful by the way

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

EragonSuperH - thanks for the comment on the truck. The picture below (same as in my avatar) was taken in 2004 after we installed all the bright trim on the newly painted truck. The bed/box is a junkyard find from a newer truck, so it has fuel doors that were not stock in '75. The paint now has some wear and tear on it (14+ years), so its looking a little worn these days.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75gmck25.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	441395  
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
EragonSuperH (03-15-2019)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in