1988 Chevy 350 TBI won't start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1988 Chevy 350 TBI won't start

So in the last couple of weeks I pulled the intake off of my 88 chevy stepside and I replaced the intake gaskets..... theres more to it than that but we won't get into it.... Anyway got everything back together and now the truck won't start. My oil pressure pegs out when I turn the key on and I can't get the fuel pump to do anything. I tried putting 12 volts to in G on the ALDL and I tried grounding it too. I ran a jumper across the oil pressure switch (its a 2 wire BTW). I've never been able to hear the pump run since I've had the truck for a year and a half now but its always run great. Now I've got nothing. If I spray starting fluid or pour a little gas in the throttle body it fires right up so I know the distributor is where it should be and firing. My distributor module connections inside the distributor are pretty nasty and corroded so I know that may be an issue but would it still spark and not send pulse to the injectors? I know this has all been beat to death on here and I have done ALOT of searching and reading but I still can't get this figured out. Also on last note.... the last time I drove the truck any distance before I pulled the intake off I had an issue where it didn't want to start. My friend went into a store and I stayed in the truck listening to music.... 15-20 Minutes went by and when he came back out the truck wouldn't start. We went in and ate and came back out an hour later and it fired right up. Anyway I hope someone can help and thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014

fuel pump

First thing is put fuel pressure gauge on the test port.
The fuel pump is controlled by the oil pressure switch. If that is faulty the pump won't run but it should prime for a few seconds when the key is first turned on.
There is fuel pump test point (12 volt +) that can be used to run the pump for testing only. If the fuel pump is not running check the wire and connections to the pump. Including the ground wire at the tank where the pump is located.
When you leave the key on without the engine running and try to start, the fuel prime feature does not cycle. The engine should start after oil pressure is achieved thus running the fuel pump. Simply turn off the ign sw. before trying to start.

vicrod

Last edited by vicrod; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Well I just got done dropping the tank. I am going to replace the fuel pump as I have two others on hand and I stripped a little of the wire for the pump running back to the tank and applied 12v off the battery and it didn't do anything. After I dropped the tank I grounded it and put 12v on it again and still nothing so I think my issue might simply be that the pump is dead. It just doesn't make sense to me that it ran fine before I pulled the intake and now two weeks later its just dead.....

Tags
fuel pump, oil pressure, tbi

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in