2 part seam sealer recommendations - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

John,
I was looking at this very thing several weeks ago.

You've probably already read it, but just incase you missed it, there was another seam sealer thread on here that was interesting: https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/seam...se-182420.html
Note that (as of a couple years ago) Barry (I believe the SPI guy) likes SEM.

SEM stood behind their product for one guy:
Looking for a seam sealer. - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
To me that says something that they didn't weasel out of it when he could prove that he did everything correct.

I don't remember reading anyone else that had a bad experience with the SEM 2K sealer products that wasn't a direct result of terribly incorrect application.

7oz is ~200mL, and amazon shows a couple manual applicator guns in the ~$50 range. Would the plungers be the correct spacing and diameter for the SEM cartridges? I don't know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboy_dan For This Useful Post:
John long (04-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,872 Times in 4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Here is an interesting image I just found in "tech tips" on the Evercoat site.
http://www.evercoat.com/?d=2&dt=70&w=us

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
And of course these companies usually have good communications with their customers. I emailed and got this part number for the tips. 100817
Yes they ARE available.

Brian
LOL, Thanks Brian. I actually found them listed on the web site you posted above. That site also explained how to store the unfinished cartridge.....pretty cool. The friend that repainted my 47 Ford conv has a SEM gun that will handle both the SEM and 3M cartridges. Steve said he had not ised it for 12 years and I could keep it as long as I need it. They are so much cheaper than the Evercoat Maxims, that is the route I will probably go.

This has been a real educational process. I have enjoyed learning more about what is available, both types and manufacturers. I'm beginning to feel a little smarter.

One other question guys. With the old single componant sealers, you could smooth them with your finger dampened with a little wax/grease remover. Does that method also work with the two componant epoxy based seam sealers?

John
Old 04-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
And the "Basics of Basics" on seam sealers.

Seam Sealers - Autobodystore

Brian

Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize you had already posted this from another site.

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Oh, bonus tip... while it may be out of the manufacturer's intended context for usage a short window exists when it can be tooled with a brush or smoothed with a gloved finger but work fast and lubricate with wax and grease remover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL, Thanks Brian. I actually found them listed on the web site you posted above. That site also explained how to store the unfinished cartridge.....pretty cool. The friend that repainted my 47 Ford conv has a SEM gun that will handle both the SEM and 3M cartridges. Steve said he had not ised it for 12 years and I could keep it as long as I need it. They are so much cheaper than the Evercoat Maxims, that is the route I will probably go.

This has been a real educational process. I have enjoyed learning more about what is available, both types and manufacturers. I'm beginning to feel a little smarter.

One other question guys. With the old single componant sealers, you could smooth them with your finger dampened with a little wax/grease remover. Does that method also work with the two componant epoxy based seam sealers?

John
See above. Yes but only for a short time. Work small sections. The stuff is most pretty when applied with a spreader, in my opinion. Dries shiny and you just scuff it then. You can shape a spreader to match a spot too, like a stepped overlap or if you want a tiny proud bead. I suggest priming over the 2K seam sealer for best results.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Grand Prix User

John if you'd like pic examples of how it looks brushing and spreading it, say so.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
John if you'd like pic examples of how it looks brushing and spreading it, say so.
Thanks Matt. Brian postd some examples on his tutorial and the SEM web site had a good video. I also wathched bunch of Youtube videoes......Including some by some real hacks.

I am happy to look at any examples as well As listen to advice but I do think I have a pretty good idea of how to proceed. I don't want to brush it. I will either use my finger or make a profile out of a spreader.

I have always liked SEM products. As far as you guys know am I ok to order SEM 2k since I have their gun?

John

I want to seam seal the flange around the firewall but need it to look neat and clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	420185  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
If you have any with a shaped spreader, that would be cool.

John
Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Grand Prix User

Probably not on that, but I saw some brushed stuff when I found that gun pic. Sounds like you're covered, I have just been replying on the phone and not looking at links. You will do fine, sir.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,635 Posts
Just my .02c..but I normaly run a 1in wide masking taoe down each side of the seam then brushe the sealer when it starts to dry I use a b
bondo spreader and smoth the sealer,,then when Almost dry remove the tape,,then you have Perfect straight and uniform edges,

I do sand my seam sealer with 800 and DX330 or equivlant,

don't know if it helps but it is the way I was shomn,Maaany moons ago,
Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Just my .02c..but I normaly run a 1in wide masking taoe down each side of the seam then brushe the sealer when it starts to dry I use a b
bondo spreader and smoth the sealer,,then when Almost dry remove the tape,,then you have Perfect straight and uniform edges,

I do sand my seam sealer with 800 and DX330 or equivlant,

don't know if it helps but it is the way I was shomn,Maaany moons ago,
LOL, I definitely will tape along the seam. I am way to sloppy not to take that precaution. I probably will do a couple of practice runs too since this will be in such a conspicuous location.

John
Old 04-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
John,
I was looking at this very thing several weeks ago.

You've probably already read it, but just incase you missed it, there was another seam sealer thread on here that was interesting: https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/seam...se-182420.html
Note that (as of a couple years ago) Barry (I believe the SPI guy) likes SEM.

SEM stood behind their product for one guy:
Looking for a seam sealer. - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
To me that says something that they didn't weasel out of it when he could prove that he did everything correct.

I don't remember reading anyone else that had a bad experience with the SEM 2K sealer products that wasn't a direct result of terribly incorrect application.

7oz is ~200mL, and amazon shows a couple manual applicator guns in the ~$50 range. Would the plungers be the correct spacing and diameter for the SEM cartridges? I don't know.
Dan, I just re-read this thread and realized I had not responded to you contribution. I apologize and thank you for your post and sound advice. I appreciate all who contributed.

John
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Dan, I just re-read this thread and realized I had not responded to you contribution. I apologize and thank you for your post and sound advice. I appreciate all who contributed.

John
No apology necessary.
We all miss things once in a while, or forget.

If it weren't for my poor memory, I'd never enjoy the pleasure of finding my keys, again.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:05 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

I have that SEM gun. It will work with the 3M cartridges. Just make sure he has the right plungers screwed in. It should come with a few different size ratios but 1 to 1 is what you want. SEM seam sealer is pretty solid. for seam sealing hoods and doors I'm instructed to use "easy sand". It's a plastic repair we use for bumpers. It lays out smooth with plenty of flow. Sticks well too. I wouldn't waste my time with the 2 part sealers on the underside or floors. Use 1k for that otherwise you'd be spending a couple hundred on just seam sealer. The 1k product is great for when panels have a huge gap from factory. The 2k is good for exterior panels. The seam sealer that flows are great for run channels as that always has to be really smooth as long as you make a tape dam to collect the sealer that wants to drip on your quarter. Regular 2k seam sealer elsewhere.I'd just get the SEM. A lot cheaper than Evercoat or 3M. SEM has some pretty solid products and are getting better.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in