2 part seam sealer recommendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,283 Posts
2 part seam sealer recommendations

I need a good 2 part seam sealer. The problem for me is not the price of the seam sealer but finding a product that doesn't require a $150 dollar applicator gun.

I have read Brian's tutorial on seam sealers several times and think I know what to use but have not found what I am sure is the best product or applicator.

How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos ā€¢ AutoBody101.com

Give me some guidance if you can.

John

Advertisement

Last edited by John long; 04-17-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,202 Times in 3,588 Posts
3M 8308 is all I've used. A guy like yourself could modify a plain caulking gun to adapt to the cartridge. Get a bag of extra nozzles if you need to run lots of beads. Skip the nozzle and use a mixing board if preferred where a spreader works. For days of storage just letting it set up in the tip is fine, but for months you'll need to properly cap the cartridge. Stuff dries to like thick vinyl in under an hour, and can be sanded like bumper repair filler. It also adheres best if you can leave it alone overnight. I prefer to sand or scuff it before priming but watch out, it may not festher well and can swell / lift edges if coatings go on too wet. Not as bad as single component. Yes you will probably want to sand and prime it. Somewhere in interweb oblivion theres a write up by me too. But thats all I got. You'd probably want two cartridges and at least a bag of extra nozzles because work time is quite short.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
3M 8308 is all I've used. A guy like yourself could modify a plain caulking gun to adapt to the cartridge. Get a bag of extra nozzles if you need to run lots of beads. Skip the nozzle and use a mixing board if preferred where a spreader works. For days of storage just letting it set up in the tip is fine, but for months you'll need to properly cap the cartridge. Stuff dries to like thick vinyl in under an hour, and can be sanded like bumper repair filler. It also adheres best if you can leave it alone overnight. I prefer to sand or scuff it before priming but watch out, it may not festher well and can swell / lift edges if coatings go on too wet. Not as bad as single component. Yes you will probably want to sand and prime it. Somewhere in interweb oblivion theres a write up by me too. But thats all I got. You'd probably want two cartridges and at least a bag of extra nozzles because work time is quite short.
Cool Matt. What do you think would be involved in modifying a caulking gun. Are there maybe off brand guns that are not as pricey as the 3M?

John

Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Grand Prix User

You could fork the plunger with some all thread and nuts or weld something up, then the notch at the front of the gun body would just need edges bent or cut and slot resized so the cart slips in. Might tack a body shim there if its the right size. Are there not blueprints over at frugalcarguy.com?

A duramix gun or something might be easier to modify but seriously the only thing the fine toothed plastic expensive ones do is have less potential for unintended flow and slightly increased bead control over distances. A hobbyist can probably get around the gun thing just fine in order to use the good material.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh, bonus tip... while it may be out of the manufacturer's intended context for usage a short window exists when it can be tooled with a brush or smoothed with a gloved finger but work fast and lubricate with wax and grease remover.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Oh, bonus tip... while it may be out of the manufacturer's intended context for usage a short window exists when it can be tooled with a brush or smoothed with a gloved finger but work fast and lubricate with wax and grease remover.
That is good to know.

Would this work with most 200ml 2 part seam sealers. It looks pretty well made.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	420065  
Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Grand Prix User

As long as its long enough for the automix cartridge. The spread on the plungers could be different. I really don't know how standardized the cartridge design is, I kinda thought it might be a proprietary different-on-purpose affair. I don't know, but the only places the gun has to touch the cartridge is at the plungers and the groove at the neck.

The manual automix gun might be gearing-assisted inside the clunky housing. Fair warning, if you use a small gun like the pic, it will be harder on the hands. That is another reason that modifying a fullsize hardware store reject caulk gun might apply. Better leverage for less cramping.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 PM

I've had duramix and 3m tubes in the same gun as pictured. Fusor cartridges seem to be the only ones that are different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
John long (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
I have never used this product but am a BIG supporter of Evercoat in general. But his is a 2k sealer that uses a regular caulking gun you can get at the hardware store.
EvercoatĀ®

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 05:40 AM
Grand Prix User

John it dawned on me that I ran into this before years ago. Guy at the shop had a MotorGuard Automix / Duramix 200ml gun. I looked and its $97 on ebay.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_27610-IMG_98031012263184.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	420073  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Slow but willing learner

You know guys this has turned out to be kind of a fascinating subject. The Evercoat Maxim 822 is a two part oem bead type seam sealer that will work in a standart caulk gun. It is about 44 bucks. That is the good news. The bad news is, once you break the seal, you had better ise it all. They don't even offer spare tips for it.

The double tube type products like the 3m, SEM, that use the applicator guns offer spare tips. Since they begin to mix in the tip and not in the cartridge they can be used over a period of time. Less waste in most cases.

I'm going to have to think about this a bit.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

John
Old 04-18-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You know guys this has turned out to be kind of a fascinating subject. The Evercoat Maxim 822 is a two part oem bead type seam sealer that will work in a standart caulk gun. It is about 44 bucks. That is the good news. The bad news is, once you break the seal, you had better ise it all. They don't even offer spare tips for it.

The double tube type products like the 3m, SEM, that use the applicator guns offer spare tips. Since they begin to mix in the tip and not in the cartridge they can be used over a period of time. Less waste in most cases.

John
WOW I didn't know that! That SUCKS big time!

I do know that the gun is often loaned by paint/body supply stores. I lucked out and have one at home that my supplier gave me when I bought my first cartridge.

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Here is an interesting image I just found in "tech tips" on the Evercoat site.
http://www.evercoat.com/?d=2&dt=70&w=us

Brian
Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

I've used this product with good success on my '37's drip rails. I wanted a product that didn't require a specialized calking gun for just a one-time use. Flows well, and yes the ends of the drip rails were a bit tricky, but I figured out how to use a bit less toward the ends, and let it flow. Cleanup wasn't a problem, and a bit of shaping with a Dremel tool was all that was needed to shape the ends overflow, after the product dried.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-self-...iABEgLAe_D_BwE
Old 04-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John
And of course these companies usually have good communications with their customers. I emailed and got this part number for the tips. 100817
Yes they ARE available.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in