$2000 paint failure - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2017, 07:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How much paint does it take to paint a truck. Iím not painting the underside of the hood or inside the bed. Itís an 84 Chevy short bed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

find a different source of advice. This guy told you to spray two coats of clear? You don't sound like you have a lot of experience and for him to suggest that is just plain wrong. Guys with no experience spray orange peely and that then gets cut down so with two coats of clear there's no winning there. Don't listen to that guy anymore, trust me. If you had trouble with the metallic you will have trouble with the pearl. Take time to check coverage BEFORE spraying clear, READ on spraying techniques, and do practice panels before spraying your car. Sounds like you are not taking your time to learn about what you're doing. It's not rocket science and personally I found painting to be very easy compared to body. The difficulties comes with color matching. Anyone with a little knowledge can spray. Heck, we had a detailer spray his mom's car and he didn't know a thing about paint. I think your paint rep deals with production shops and that's where the "two coats" came from. Two coats is for guys who spray glossy, have expensive $800 guns to lay it out like glass, and don't have much to buff afterwards, and they know how to buff as well. Terrible advice that guy gave you. Pretty much unknowingly set you up to fail. He was right about the single stage metallic though.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Paint screw up.

I can relate to the paint yourself issue. I painted my 47 willy's jeep a few years ago. It turned out horrible. I didn't know what I was doing. I sanded the whole jeep then took it to the local Maaco paint shop.

They quoted me $450.00 for sealing the vehicle and painting it metallic Dodge green. I located the guy in the shop that was actually going to paint the jeep and gave him $50.00, I told him there would be an additional $50.00 dollar tip if he did a great job.

Money well spent, It turned out great and a lot cheaper then me attempting to paint it myself again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in