2014 Chevy Sonic 1.8L Radiator removal. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

2014 Chevy Sonic 1.8L Radiator removal.

Ok I am going to need to replace the radiator in my daughters 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. According to what I have read you need to remove the front plastic and also pull the A/C condenser. I want to do this without having to open the A/C system. Is there a way to remove the radiator with out removing the AC Condenser?

Any methods short of cutting the front end off would be appreciated?

Advertisement

Last edited by Rip VW; 05-08-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Ahhhh I forgot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Ok I am going to need to replace the radiator in my daughters 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. According to what I have read you need to remove the front plastic and also pull the A/C condenser. I want to do this without having to open the A/C system. Is there a way to remove the radiator with out removing the AC Condenser?

Any methods short of cutting the front end off would be appreciated?
I can look it up today in the manufacturers guidelines when I get to work for you. But honestly, MANY cars you have no choice, it's that simple, done deal. MANY cars you have to pull the front bumper cover (usually a piece of cake) and you have to pull the ac cond, that is all there is to it. But you may be able to pull it out of the way with the bumper cover off. There are mobile ac guys in my area that come out to recover your system then will come back to charge it that aren't too expensive.

Brian
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM

LOL, this is what they show on removing the radiator! So apparently you need to pull the fenders, headlights, engine and so forth to get the rad out! LOL, just kidding, this is a stupid ars instruction, they usually are pretty good. I went to a few others like "upper rad supports" a more common sense image.

But still no help, they usually have way more info saying the bumper has to be removed, with a link to how to remove the bumper. So these are pretty pathetic.

But without a doubt I don't see any other way than to remove the bumper cover

Sorry for the small images, they won't let me copy the enlarged ones. But honestly that cover is pretty easy to come off.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad.gif
Views:	294
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	424377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad2.gif
Views:	293
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	424385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper.gif
Views:	292
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	424393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper2.gif
Views:	298
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	424401  

Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Thank you very much Brian, I wish I had the car in front of me but not yet. This is some real good stuff. I learned something just reading the last page. I never thought of the bottle of soapy spray for those plastic panel clips.

I now know why Chevrolet wanted about $900 bucks to replace the radiator. according to my daughter.. at least I will have a gopher when she brings it over as her roommate wants to see how it is done.

You know these little cars are almost throw away these days....
Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 PM

What I want to know is how in the heck it could need a radiator at only 3-4 years old?

Brian
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 PM

That my friend is an interesting story. My daughter buys it a year old and gets the "extended warranty" she has a couple minor problems but nothing serious. Then we had a real cold snap and suddenly her heater is not working. she takes it in and they replace some heater control valve. she gets it back and on the way home it starts to run hot. She was smart and shut it down before she hurt it. She found the radiator was real low on coolant. She discovered a small water leak from one of the radiator outlets and after further examination she found a crack in the hose connection on the radiator tank..

So to shorten the story she went back to chevy and said hey you cracked my radiator when you replaced the heater valve. They said we did Bupkiss to your radiator and furthermore we will not do a warranty claim because it was obviously owner induced somehow.

She contacted regional manager and went round and round kind of a chicken and egg thing. She says she contacted Chevrolet Corporate and filed a complaint. They said it may be a long time before the complaint gets a hearing but "In their opinion" this is not their responsibility. So stalemate and she needed a radiator. it the short term she mixed some epoxy and smeared it over the crack and it is holding but still weeping some.

In steps dear old dad to save her day. I bought her a radiator and said here go for it. She is a competent mechanic and should be able to handle it and her roommate is a tinkerer. Well they went to change the rad and were blown away by all the stuff in the way. she called me and said "Help".

So now I get to do this job. I am so looking forward to it.... NOT. I talked to her tonight and she may be over this week end if the weather holds. No room inmy shop for even a lawn mower. At least I can reach all the lower stuff up on the lift.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Yep, that sucks!

Got a little story you may get a kick out of. My dad was a salesman, mostly cars, but houses, vacuum cleaners, cookware, he sold his whole life after the war. Anyway, he bought me a new tv when I moved out of the house getting married. We were sitting in Sears & Robuck department store (a big chain here) buying a new tv. The salesmen got to writing it up and asked if we wanted to buy the extended warranty, my dad leans forward with a worried look on his face and said "I thought you said this was a good tv!" LOL, the guy backed off and said we didn't need it. LOL

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-09-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
I replace radiators all the time at the shop and usually the condenser needs to be replaced too because it was smashed but any time I have to change just the rad I change "just the rad" you'll have to pull the electric fan out maybe take the bumper cover off usually a few screws and it snaps in (every car is different but I can safely say "no" the condenser does not need to come out unless your car is an odd ball and theres plenty of those. You can always wiggle a move things around enough to get it out. Getting the condenser out without pulling the rad is a LOT more challenging I just did one of those on a Nissan Sentra so, that too, is possible. Most cases the bumper cover will have to come off so have a blanket layed out to set that cover on you WILL trip over it and scratch it otherwise. or the wind will blow it all over the neighborhood and seriously scratch it. Dont ask. All I can say is it takes me a lot more eggs when I make an omlet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (05-15-2018), Rip VW (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info there DBM. Yeah it looks like the cover is no big deal Like Brian said, I think the simple solution is to saw the car in half at the firewall!!

After studying the pictures I see a couple of ways to acomplish this. The real test will be what I find when I get the cover off. It also looks like the bumper structure can be removed if necessary. I guess she will bring the car by Sat or Sunday We shall see what the real world brings..
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Cars can be VERY different one from the other so a general overview is about all I can give. We know the bumper cover has to come off, so just get that off and if you have to pull the ac out, well, then you have to pull the ac out. When you have to you have to, when you don't you don't. LOL

Sometimes the lines going to the cond are hard and you simply can't pull it out of the way. You will find out when you get there.

Brian
Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Pulling the under engine shield off could be a big help too, so you can gain access to the lower hose/hoses. Most radiators these days don't have a tranny cooler in them so that is a BIG plus. But if the lower engine shield is off you may be able to gain access to the hoses so you can pull the rad straight up. Sometimes you can unbolt the fan shrouds and just leave them there without removing them which can help, other times the best way is to leave them attached to the rad and pull it out as an assembly. You will have to figure that out once you see it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
On the 2012 Nissan Versa I just did it had a removable upper support, THAT was a big help, so look close, sometimes that upper support is only bolted on.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-10-2018)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in