231 V6 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Original

Hi guys... again, the brainstorming comments are all appreciated, and I have been down that road with several others.... The easiest solution to the whole problem is to come up with motor and automatic tranny from a Chevy V6 so I don't have to move the steering, which would be difficult if not impossible with this pickup truck. Another guy has the twin, decided to put in a 350/350 and had to move the firewall back 6". There is hardly any cab room in these trucks to begin with, so it is a mystery to me how he sits in his truck. The original motor was a four cylinder. There were supposed to be two motors stored in the abandoned farm house; I only found one, and a second head. The motor I found had been looted... literally. The pan and crank were laying next to the block, with the pistons removed as well as the carburetor. The rear end was history also, so I went with a 1949 Ford (perches match up) and decided on a modern motor. I installed a 1950 steering system since I had that in stock. The solution to the motor is a Chevy V6 with a front mount tubular system. If you care to look at the project, as with all builds we do, it is documented digitally. I have neglected updating the site recently, and installed the "box" today... If you have never used FLICKR, go to the site and find the words "slideshow" on the right hand side of the screen, in gray print, and click on it. Remember, you will be going back in time to a little over a year ago, when I picked up the pieces. The truck was donated.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1928chevy/?saved=1

Thanks again for the suggestions. It is always fun to hear other ideas... I have even looked for an old Vega motor, and I have found two Chevette 1.6 motors, with automatics as well. Motor mount issues still make the V6 the best option....

Have a good one..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Of course it's fast

I still think a newer engine would be the best choice. Check out the engine from a supra if you want to make big power. Cams and springs alone will add 200+ hp. Volvo engine are great too, as are bmw's. Think about all the benifits of these engines: more power, reliability, gas mileage. Worth looking in to.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Last journal entry: Picture of delivery

Hi Professor229
That is a very nice truck.
I will be starting a 1917 REO Delivery this summer. I have acquired a 1992 Astro Van for cheap with low mileage. It is the last year of the 700R4/4L60 Trans before GM went to the electronic 4L60E. The engine is a CPI 4.3L with a balance shaft but the CPI injection is shot. It has the older style eyebrow heads which flow quite well. I have an Edelbrock performer manifold 2111 and a 600 Holley. I picked up a large cap even fire V6 HEI distributor with vacuum advance. This should be about 250HP when done which is good for the REO for cruising.
Anyways the GM 4.3L V6 262 Cu. in. is next generation to the Chev 229 cu. in. V6 found in the 80's Cameros. The non-balance shaft engines will take a sbc roller cam set and have a the same bore and stroke as a 350 Chev small block. The balance shaft engine has roller lifters the same as the Vortec sbc. Comp Cams have good cams for either version.
This may be a good setup for you to consider also.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor229
Hi guys... again, the brainstorming comments are all appreciated, and I have been down that road with several others.... The easiest solution to the whole problem is to come up with motor and automatic tranny from a Chevy V6 so I don't have to move the steering, which would be difficult if not impossible with this pickup truck. Another guy has the twin, decided to put in a 350/350 and had to move the firewall back 6". There is hardly any cab room in these trucks to begin with, so it is a mystery to me how he sits in his truck. The original motor was a four cylinder. There were supposed to be two motors stored in the abandoned farm house; I only found one, and a second head. The motor I found had been looted... literally. The pan and crank were laying next to the block, with the pistons removed as well as the carburetor. The rear end was history also, so I went with a 1949 Ford (perches match up) and decided on a modern motor. I installed a 1950 steering system since I had that in stock. The solution to the motor is a Chevy V6 with a front mount tubular system. If you care to look at the project, as with all builds we do, it is documented digitally. I have neglected updating the site recently, and installed the "box" today... If you have never used FLICKR, go to the site and find the words "slideshow" on the right hand side of the screen, in gray print, and click on it. Remember, you will be going back in time to a little over a year ago, when I picked up the pieces. The truck was donated.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1928chevy/?saved=1

Thanks again for the suggestions. It is always fun to hear other ideas... I have even looked for an old Vega motor, and I have found two Chevette 1.6 motors, with automatics as well. Motor mount issues still make the V6 the best option....

Have a good one..
I don't exactly understand what your saying.. I know what the tubular mounts are from Speedway. but when you say " front tubular mount ". that is confusing, because all Chevy v6's that I know of are side mounted, and the tubular crossmembers I know of are for side mounts. the 4.3L has provisions for a true front mount, because, it's most of a 350 and 350's have that. I don't know of any of the 60* engines having that provision, and among that, the 2.8L had crankshaft issues and is a boat anchor.. I think the 151/183 can actually be front mounted, but I'm not entirely sure. being an inline, it should be narrow enough to side mount and not interfere with the steering
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Wiki Edits: 1616

I agree that "tubular" is in error- at least from what I see @ Speedway.

They have a sheet steel welded up front mount for the SBC/90 V6, but the tubular motor mounts are for the side mounts. There's a side mount for the Buick 231 V6 as well. But IIRC, there's no room to use the side mount-type X-member due to steering box interference.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in