24'x24'x10 garage lighting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

24'x24'x10 garage lighting?

I have a home shop that has a white metal ceiling with sheet rock walls painted white. I'm currently using 9 -200 watt fluorescent bulbs. I want to replace them with more lighting that would be affordable to install and run. Any ideas on what would work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Since you're in the cold belt you will find that the fluorescents have a tough time in producing some light. They have to warm up, but since they're in a deep freeze they may just glow. However, if this is a constantly heated garage then they will be okay. You can install halogen lights (like they use in skating rinks), but they use more power and produce heat. Another option is to just use more fluorescents. I found that easier to do in my shop and mounted the lights on the wall. This way they shine into the car instead of from the top. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibas View Post
I have a home shop that has a white metal ceiling with sheet rock walls painted white. I'm currently using 9 -200 watt fluorescent bulbs. I want to replace them with more lighting that would be affordable to install and run. Any ideas on what would work?
Have you looked at the High Intensity Fluorescent Lights? They put out about 50% more light than traditional fluorecent lights and are smaller fixture and bulbs. I think they are the T5 style, although they do cost more.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

cold Lights.

My son ( an elect contractor) Installed new commercial lights in the working end of my shop that were rated for a cold enviroment, I have an old wood stove that doesn't keep it warm. 40 X 120 x 16 ft walls.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Wiki Edits: 22

Here's a tip on florescent lights if you're going to turn them on and off with a wall switch. Each fixture needs its own individual surge suppressor. I was constantly blowing ballasts until I did that. Haven't blown one in a year and a half. Mine just plug into each outlet that the lights are plugged into, and then the lights are plugged into the SS.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

LED's are getting super cheap. they fire up in any temp and don't generate heat.. if you can wire for regular screw type fixtures, you can get 100w equivalent bulbs for about $8 each nowadays..
Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

I went with fluorescent lights in my garage, and use T8 lamps with electronic ballasts. Fluorescent lights will have issues starting in cold weather, but not if you use electronic ballasts and T8 lamps. I would also consider putting your lighting in rows, and put each row on a switch, so you can save energy by only turning on what you need where you're working. I'd additionally put a night light in on a separate switch, so on those occasions when you just run in to grab something, you're not firing up all the lights. Most the shops I wired during my career were set up this way, and owners loved this set up, and had no issues with cold weather. The T8 lamps are also the most reasonably priced, and give good lighting levels, if you have the correct number, and location. 3 rows of 4 two lamp fixtures should give you good lighting, even if your shop doesn't have windows.
Surge suppression issues would not be the same in all locations, so adding surge suppression would be done on an as needed basis. I'd look at voltages, and take readings prior to deciding if an area had trouble with high voltage, or transient surges that require protection.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

1971BB427 saved me a lot of typing
best bang for the buck is 4 ft, 2 bulb, t8 fixtures, electronic ballasts for cold starts.
8 ft fixtures cost more and give off 12 ft of light, two 4 ft fixtures spaced 4 ft apart will light 16 ft with better light dispersion
i have 7 switched zones in a 50x50 shop and only turn on the zones i'm working in

i assume you have those 200 watt curly bulbs in single bulb keyless fixtures (4'' round box)
pull out the keyless fixture and replace it with a duplex recepticle

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in