'27 Tcoupe - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2015, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm still working on it.
I have been doing small things and fixing some body problems. I had just changed from having wood, around the quarter windows, to having metal around them. When I was cleaning up under the panel T strips, when I found some rust on the belt line. I removed the top part of the quarter to fix it. Plus it's been really cold , we had two ice storms, and was with out electric for a few days. But I have some more parts coming any day, and it's warm out again, so I'll be hitting it again.

Here's a couple of pictures, but nothing specal.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110006 (Small).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	209394   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110007 (Small).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	209402   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110028 (Small).JPG
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	209410   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110030 (Small).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	209418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110022 (Small).JPG
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	209426  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,044 Times in 585 Posts
Hello TCoupe,Pat

I just saw your build thread and read through it. It looks like we are going in almost the same directions. I also note we are both discovering what bad workmanship some of these projects have had.

I have to replace all of the lower sheet metal from the B pillar all the way back to the rear both sides and the center panel and sub frame.

Anyway just thought I would be neighborly and say hello, Your T is looking good and I have already spotted some things I want to do to mine while looking yours over..

Rip VW
Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 PM

I am back working on the car. I had a surgery that killed 3 + weeks. I was cleaning parts before that, and I had ordered some parts. Most the things I done lately don't show, but trust me, I've been busy on it. I replaced the crappy right rear quarter corner. I hammered so many dents out, I swear they shot at it many times with 00 shot! on both corners. It's hard to tell, the dent in the corner was hammered in 3/4" then it was all covered with mud, to hide it all. Now I'm going to order some Por15, or some KBS rust seal, to put on the seams as I close them back up.

I bought 65 rivets, to re-rivet the body back together. I guess now is as good as any to learn to rivet. Then hopefully the back half will be completely back together again. Then I can weld up the new rear sub-framing, and cut out the old.

I have been keeping the molasses tank full, and rotating the parts. Now I have to switch over to a larger wood tank I built, for the larger parts, like the dash, rear T strips, firewall, etc.

More to come.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC250003 (Small).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	223498   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240008 (Small).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	223506   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240005 (Small).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	223514   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240007 (Small).JPG
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	223522   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240012 (Small).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	223530  

Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 AM

That's looking good there Pat. I need to do both corners on mine but I need to finish the inner structure on mine first.

Looks like we are both running about the same progress wise. The "War Dept" has had me looking for her new car so I spent way to much time on that but I am getting back into the swing of things.

Keep us informed and pictures are Great!!

Later Days,

Rip
Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 PM

I have been busy working everything but my coupe it seems. I just made new sub-frame corners for some one elses 27 coupe, and then he sent me his rear panel framing, which I basically made new parts, his were to rusted to reuse.

But now I'm done with that, and replaced the left side quarter panel corner. I have had a black almost like a tat puck inside the left quarter panel near the top back corner, so today I decided to get rid of it. It was about a 5/16 thick. I took my sander to the outside and it was body filler. So I heated it up, and took a scraper to it, and took it out. and it dropped in. Turns out a one time, someone must have put a hole for a fuel filler. So now I get to make a patch, and weld that in also. Surprise, surprise, surprise! I wish I'd stop finding these surprises.

I still see two spots on the inside of the quarters, that look like a golf ball hit it, but it's smooth on the outside. Hell since I'm learning to hammer out dents, why stop now. I have never done body work really before, but I'm learning to do it on this car. I don't want to build this car, have have a crappy body on it.The worst I can do, is to have to have someone refinish it when I'm done. Which is where it is now.

I think I have hammered my welds pretty good, they are pretty smooth now, along with all the dents I've hammered out. When I started to replace the quarter corners, after I removed all the mud, it looked like it was shot a few time in the lower quarter corners , then brazed steel over the holes and hid it. But it was 3/4" thick in spots.

Tomorrow, more hammering, and to fix the fuel neck hole.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6190001 (Small).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	227601   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190007 (Small).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	227609   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190005 (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	227617   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190006 (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	227625  
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM

Here are some pictures of the parts I made for a friend's '27 coupe.

The 1st picture is what he sent me, and the 2nd & 3rd picture is what I made to replace it.

The 4th picture is what I kept of his rear panel framing, and rebuilt it, and in picture 5, is what I made to replace his to rusted parts.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	227641   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220005 (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	227649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220006 (Small).JPG
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	227657   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image2 (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	227665   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140009 (Small).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	227673  

Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Your making good progress there Pat. Man the corners on the body look good and those replacement parts you made for the end of the cross member look awesome.

I haven't yet figured out what I am going to do with the connection of my new sub frame to the rear cross member. I have some ideas but like everything else 3 other things depend on which way I go and sometimes I feel like I am re inventing the wheel..

Tomorrow the rear corners on my T get trimmed and cleaned up, Then I will get the new pieces trimmed and ready for fit and weld. Next I can install the Tail Panel, Then with the corners welded and the tail panel in place I can then turn to finally fitting the body sub rails to the end of the cross member and to the corners. Ah what a zoo.

Keep up the good work Pat
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 AM

Rip,
Thanks on the parts I made. My coupe is made different, and doesn't have those corner pieces on the sub-frame, mine just butts up square, to the side sub-frames. Yet they are both '27's

When you trim your quarters, I clamp the new ones over the panels, and then cut the old off. That way they have the same cut, and will then fit right in place. I made a bunch of butt weld clamps myself, to hold the panels tight in place, and they leave just the right amount of gap for welding. Then I tack weld, then remove the claps as I go and weld it all by tack welding, then hammering the welds down some, then more welds, hammed, then grind then weld till done. and finish grinding, then sit, and pick/flat hammer, inside & outside till it feels good, and smooth.

When I get done with the welding, I'm covering everything with "Rust Sealer", it will stop any rust from starting again, and will stop any that I didn't get cleaned good enough. for good! Then I will skim body filler where needed. But I have to wait till it's not so humid out to put it on, or it will cure to fast. It cures with humidity, unlike paint.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81DSglfOQrL__SY355_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	227729  
Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 PM

Pat,
Funny you should mention the fender corners.

I am working on the corners on mine now and before I started tearing away at everything I noticed something I thought odd. It looked like the T strip on one side was longer than the other. Well I set down today with tape measure and actually measured the thing and they both were the same length. Looks like a difference between left and right fenders. It is not a lot of difference but I think I will index the new corners with the end of each T strip and then make the tail panel fit also..

I assembled the tail panel today and have a few tweaks here and there but I am close behind you so don't look in the rear view cause I am gaining on ya..

Old 06-22-2015, 06:40 PM

Well, filler hole is hammered out, and new metal welded in.

Now I get to fix some hidden brazing & filler work. on the belt line. First it was just a little crack, then it grew up the side, and then holes around the belt line! There is so much brass on it, I can't fix it with my mig. I do have to get inside the sealed area, to clean and seal the rust he brazed over!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6220003 (Small).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	228106   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110013 (Small).JPG
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	228114   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110028 (Small).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	228122   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6220001 (Small).JPG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	228130   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6220002 (Small).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	228138  

The Following User Says Thank You to TCoupe For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:38 PM

I have been doing some more body work on the coupe upper panel. I got it welded up, and stripped the bondo, and primer off it. So I decided to strip the drivers quarter clean also, since I have the top panel off. I scraped the bondo off, the whole quarter was covered, I don't why, but he covered the whole body with mud, not just a skim film to smooth it out. I found two small dents, and where someone had a radio antenna in the quarter at one time. So I will make a quarter size patch, and weld it in, once I hammer it out smooth.

It seems like I'm not getting anything done, but I really am, just not stuff that shows.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6280006 (Small).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	229025   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6280001 (Small).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	229033   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6280003 (Small).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	229041  
The Following User Says Thank You to TCoupe For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-28-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:29 PM

I have been getting my stuff to do the body work, I bought a metal shrinker, to finish out my dents I knocked out. I have been to busy to try it out yet, but looking forward to using it.

I have been figuring out the primer for it. I will be using epoxy primer.

I bought a gravity paint gun, stand, filters, etc, to spray it.

I have cleaned a bunch in the molasses, which worked great, I can't believe how clean they came out.

I took the other quarter upper panel off, so that I could clean the surface rust off, from underneath it. I sure am glad I did that!

I had the complete rear end put back together, for trail fit, and took it back off, to finish up some stuff, back there, and to primer everything while it's apart, once all my painting stuff get's here, and I finish the metal work.

Then I can tub it.

Now my welder decided to work like crap, and I have to figure it out, and fix it. I need it all the time.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7120009.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	232273  
Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Down in flames.

Moving right along.I hope that welder issue is minor.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 AM

So do I. I am going to take the handle apart, and hopefully the connection is loose. I had changed the liner awhile back, it's a two piece liner, and it welded good after that.

Pat
Old 07-23-2015, 05:54 PM

I fixed my welder problem, I bought a new one. So now I can get back to work on the coupe.

Pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in