'27 Tcoupe - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2015, 06:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have not given up, I have been busy with a bunch things this past summer. I just put up a plastic sheeting ceiling in my shop, till I can get sheet rock up, and put in 9-8ft lights, and 3-4ft lights also, so I can keep in some heat, and so that I can see what I'm doing, in the shop.

I just bought a replacement left rear fender for the coupe. I need to finish rebuilding the basket case S10 I bought (wasn't suppose to be so much work needed on it), and then back on to the coupe.

Pat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 09:09 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,044 Times in 585 Posts
Hey there Pat,

I thought maybe someone put the bag on ya! Good to hear you are moving forward. Those little side projects can distract to no end.

I thought about seriously sheeting the ceiling with some heavy plastic to help keep the heat in when my furnace is being used. After thinking about that I realized that may make matters worse as the plastic would not be insulated from the cold and when the heat was on heavy condensation will ensue and make matters worse. as now I heat the entire roof area when the furnace is on and I have soffit vents for circulation but that wastes a lot of heat out the window so to speak. Next year I guess I will finally get the sheet rock hung and some insulation I should be able to keep the shop warm. We recently had some cold to us weather below 32F and my furnace works it's burner off but just can't keep up with the heat loss..

By the way, do you have any coupe cowl details? Looks like something is out of place on mine. I have a gap where there shouldn't be one at the very bottom where the cowl meets the body..

I have the basic frame tacked and set up and as soon as my disk rotors arrive I will have a fully tacked roller.. Of course that is between finishing the Gantry Crane and all of the Honey Do's.

Keep plugging away and keep us informed of the happenings

Rip
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Rip,
Do you have these clamps on the inside of your cowl? They pull the cowl to the "A" pillar. there should be three, and the foot loop bracket bolt (door strap), that holds everything together. You can use bolts, but I find the factory clamps work better.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7120021.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	259738  

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Spot on Pat. Mine looks like that. I figured the hoop and clamps had something to do with it. Yeah the lower right is to far forward. I am going to have to modify the bottom edge from the door post forward to fit the 32 frame (frame goes up about 5/8". This looks like a good time to loosen everything, clean up any rust and re seal.. Thanks for the Picture,

Take care and enjoy,
Rip
Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,028 Posts
Keep up the great work.. I'm also building one for me right now...
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 AM

Well it's been a while since I have posted on here. But I am back working on it, between the house, and it.

I just took the body back off, and had to take the warp of a rear crossmember, from all the welding I have been doing on t. My other welder was going bad, and I had to reweld it, and it caused it to bow some. So I removed the bow with hydraulic jack, and a piece of railroad track. I had to remove the rear body brace, and reweld it after doing it. Everything it falt and sits right with the body back on. I will add more bracing to it, after I get the rear end, and motor mounted.

I bought a Okie Joe's I beam axle. I drilled it myself. It was a piece of cake to drill, and my hole saw is just as sharp, as when I started.

I had spindle bearing adapter's made, and I installed '75 Nova rotor's, and bought the caliper mounts from Speedway to mount '80 calipers to it. They worked out good, and cost me little to do.

I getting ready to shorten my rear end (Ford 9") I have completely apart, I remove all the brackets (it had coil springs), and ground it smooth. I have to figure out my rear suspension yet. I was going to go with parallel 4 bar, but I think I might go with triangulated 4 link instead.

I just picked up a '66 327 to rebuild for it. I also picked up a Weiand 2x4 tunnel ram for it. I'll be using a 700r4 tranny behind it.

I got my rear tires mounted on my Cragers. Finally, I bought them ten years ago, when I was getting parts to build this.

I have been try to find a replacement upper quarter panel for my drivers side quarter. (they unbolt at the belt line) The one on my drivers side, had someone try to fix the rust out, by brazing it, and then caked on the bondo to hide/fix it. I have cleaned it, and welded it & brazed it up. But I'd rather not use it if I don't need to.

I have to pick up the pace, Rip VW got to far ahead of me, with his coupe. I had to many other things, that I had to do around home, first. My boss told me so.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA050009.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	334810   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA050004.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	334818   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA050001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	334826  
The Following User Says Thank You to TCoupe For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM

Hello Pat,

It is good to see you back on the Coupe. Looks like you are making good progress. That front Axle looks good. So you got a 327 for the coupe? What trans are you going to use?

I am in a temporary weather hold here. Just too cold outside. The weather people say Sunday will warm back up to the 40's. I will be back at it then.

I found a problem with the rear panel below the deck-lid the other day.

It looks like I don't have enough curve to the skin to match up with the T strips. I am going to pull the panel back apart and see where my curve can be improved when I get back out there.

I may have a little more progress than you but I still have the doors to rebuild and the lower part of the cowl to trim. and floors and a billion other things.

You are making progress Pat, Just keep plugging along. you will get there. Keep up the good work..

Rip V W
Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 PM

HI RIP!
It's cold here today also. I did nothing except to go next door and feed my neighbors chickens. Yep, you read that right, I take care of my next door neighbors chickens, while he's at work. Hey, it buy's T parts!

I have been working on my front porch, I am extending it 40 more feet. I was on top of two step latters, you know where it say's "This is Not a Step". I had to cut a 3x3" notch out for the support beam to sit on the 6x6's. I stepped on to the brace 2x4 that I unscrewed, and fell to the ground on my back holding on to the circle saw. That wasn't bad enough, I fell backwards off again, from half way. My wife told me to quit working on the porch for a few days, and go work on the coupe! I said but dear, I want to get this done for you, as I walked to the shop quickly!

The next day I dragged he to the south side of the state to buy a 327 for my coupe! lol I said, you told me not to work on the house dear, so let's do a road trip!

The 327 is bored .030 over. It still has the honing marks in it., but it spun a rod bearing. But I did get it cheap enough because of it. I need to have the crank turned, and get one small journal rod. Then I will go through it. I bought a real clean used Weiand 2x4 tunnel ram for it.

I am going to use a 700r4 tranny in it. I sold my 3-4spd's I had for it, because of my knee. Some days it kicks me to much for a clutch. I am a true believer that hot rods are suppose to be shifted, but my knee tells me different.

I need to have some pucks made up, or find someone that has some to borrow, for aligning my rear end-ends when I cut to shorten it, and weld them back on. I need to get the brackets for my suspension also, so I can put them on at the same time.

I also picked up some wheels for the front, I got a pair of mint vintage American torque thrust's, and tires.

Pat
Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 PM

I have been working on the coupe the last couple days again. Since I'm waiting for my motor parts to get done at the machine shop, and I'm waiting for parts so that I can shorten the "9 rear end, I decided to work on the body.

I have mounted all the brackets that hold the fenders, and running boards on. I now have the fenders and running board, and splash aprons on. I don't know how many times I put them on. I have new splash aprons, and running boards. So I had to drill the bolt holes to mount them. I then welded, then removed them, then fitted them, then welded, then removed them, and then finally have them on! Now I can remove them again, and set them aside for now. Till I need to do the finishing body work.

I still need to do some work on the drivers side upper rear quarter. I decided to fix the one I have, seems that no one wants to sell the upper part of a trash quarter. The ones I found that will, want the price of a complete good quarter panel. I'm not going to pay that much for just the top for a bad one.

Next I'll be working on removing the fenders, and then working on the upper quarter, and get it back on. Then I'll rivet all the parts back in, on the sides of the trunk opening, and up the rear center panel. So that I can mount the rear lower panel back in, and call all that done. I will also do all the finish re-riveting on all the other parts. Then I'll install a 350 I have for my truck, to get the motor mounts in, while I wait for the other motor.

I'm not sure which tranny I'm going to use. It will either be a 200r4, or a 4spd. I am going with a 200r4 rather then a 700r4, because of the gearing ratio in it. I have 3-700r4's just sitting right now , but one is going into my '91 S-10, when I put the mpi 350 into the truck. I would really like to use a 4spd, but I have a bad knee, and there will times I can't drive it. I had a complete 4spd setup, but decided that I couldn't use it with my knee, and sold it all.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1160016.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	340362   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160017.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	340370   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160019.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	340378  
Rip VW (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Hey Pat that is looking better all the time. I like the look of the full fendered T. One of my real early renditions of the project Sleepy T had it full fendered but with the deuce frame of mine I had to go fender less to show that reveal and Pinch in the chassis. I have been stopped for over a week on My T as it was well below freezing and the shop furnace can't keep up. I was also grounded for a few days for some hardware tests on the hardware I got.

I been staying inside on orders from the boss so I been playing wiring games. I picked up a wiring harness and am laying it out in the front room and arranging and moving wires for the future EFI and a few things like shielded wire for the VSS pulse out from the trans. and with it out on the floor I can power it up and test all the functions and if something doesn't play I can get to every connection with no problems.

Nuf of mine. I am really digging the way yours is looking.. The race is on again!!

Rip

Good job,
Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 AM

Thanks RIP.

It's not a race or contest to see who get's done first, or who's is better. It's just two friends building the same thing, but differently. I am glad to help you in any way I can, and I appreciate any help I get from you, or anyone else.

Today I am running over to the machine shop, to drop off my rods to have the pistons pressed off. He is going to rebuild the rods for me. I am going to balance the pistons myself, and after he gets the rods done, I'll balance them. Then he'll press the pistons back on. After he gets done with the block (He's honing it, cleaning it, and installing the cam bearings. Then I can assemble the short block. I'm going to disassemble the heads, and check the guides. The heads are in great shape, and don't need anything done, other then to have them cut for umbrella seals. I have to yet decide on a cam yet, which also depends on which tranny I go with.

Before I remove the fenders, I have to figure out a way to mount my rear fenders. I will loose the stock mounting when I remove the wheel wells, and tub it. I never run out of things to do on it!

I also still need to nail down which way I'm going to hang the rear end. I keep changing my mind on which way to do it.

It's been in the upper 50's to 70 degrees here this winter, So I'm taking every benefit of it! But unfortunately, I have to dig a hole (with a shovel)in the backyard, to bury a 55 plastic barrel, for my grey water. To fix my leach field, which has slowed down. There goes some more "T" time!

Pat
Rip VW (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Hey Pat, I know we aren't in any race or any competition, I just use you for extra inspiration when my own gets lacking. I see you do something and it gets me wanting to get busy and build something too..

Speaking of that I got a good 2 hours in the shop today! Worked on the tail panel framework. I was getting ready to install the 2 new end pieces I made and I was setting it all together and clamped into position. Well it wasn't looking right and when I got out the tape and string it was setting skewed. So back to the very beginning and start assembly all over only this time I have a jig to make sure it goes back together straight. Maybe tomorrow I will jig and mig.. I did correct that gap issue I had and it all should fit just better than new.. Meanwhile back on the ranch How is that porch coming along? you are staying off that ladder aren't you?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I agree RIP, yours makes me get up an go on mine also. Funny how that works.

It's been raining here for the last couple for weeks, and the wife has been in and out of the hospital, so I have not been working on the porch. But, it gives me "T" time!

I was out working yesterday, and today. I got the rear window panel back in. It should have been a piece of cake, but it was a pain in the butt! I also used the cap that covers the seam on the inside of it. It suppose to have bolts with small heads, but I was going to use new bolts. I got it, but I now have to take it back apart. I didn't treat the inside of the "T" strips before I put it back together. Yep! I remember after I was done. I'll just call it a test run. I was getting it ready to do the riveting, but now I'll have to redo it. Like I've never done that before.

I also figured a way to mount my fenders, so that when I cut out the wheel wells, they'll have something to bolt to. It was quit easy actually, I just didn't look at it before. I got passengers side mounted and braced, I just need to add the brackets to the other side to brace it. Then I'll cut them out, and cut the sub-frame away also.

But it's doctor day this afternoon, and tomorrow. Then I have to pull the box off my neighbors '71 Ford pickup. to replace the cross braces, and make new wood for the bed, and replace the gas take which is shot! Then weld the frame on his Ranger. Hey! I need to make more parts money! Them Fords keep me busy.

Pat
Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Today I tore the back all apart again, so that I could seal the bare metal underneath. It is now sealed. Then I decided that I needed to work some more on the upper quarter. I am just not pleased with it.

I started to cut the wheel wells out, then found out I just used the last 4 1/2 cut off wheel. So I ordered some more of them today. I guess I'll work on the quarter upper panel. I need to get that done, before I can assemble it, to be able to rivet & bolt the back, together again.

Pat
Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Hello Pat,

You are moving right along. I am stalled at the moment due to some physical problems but I am still planning and plotting!
I can't remember if I told you how I sealed the T strips. I used some windshield setting tape and sealed the T strip to the body. This is after prepping the strips and epoxy painting all of the area that the strips covered.

1 strip of rubber on the body from top to bottom then after T strip is installed a strip of rubber on the T strip where the center panel bolts and you are good to go. Mine is sealed tight and you would never know by looking at it. I really don't plan on driving in the rain but inevitably I will get caught in the rain or will need to park in the rain. I know now that the body is tight and seam solid..

Along T strip conversation topics I found I will need to remove the lower 2 or 3 rivets on each side I meticulously installed. It seems the Heads of the rivet are taller than OE rivets and interfere with the sides of the panel I can't get them to slip into where it is supposed to go when it is assembled. I am going to use a countersunk rivet so the real panel can slide up from the bottom and be secured with some stainless bolts. The factory riveted that center panel all together and I an not going to use rivets to hold it in the body. I remember chopping the original parts out of the back of this car and swore it was going back together so it can be repaired if ever necessary without resorting to a DuPont chisel!

I am hoping to get back to this tomorrow. I am feeling much better and am ready to get something done.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in