Hot Rod Forum banner

283 cc spark plugs and gap

19K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  alsadler 
#1 ·
I have a 283cc in a pickup with 40000 km on it but it has been modified from origional. it has a block vin from 1962-1964 but looks like 1980's top end and has an HEI distributor. how do I dertermine the spark plugs and gap for this configuration. The vacuum gauge is showing late timing, is this due to my gap? Does not seem to have much balls but it starts and runs o.k.

#4 ·
If its got the original style heads on it, you will want to use short thread 13/16 style spark plug. Not sure of the number A/C 45R maybe. Open the gap up from .035 to .045 to take advantage of the HEI. Then you can bump the timing up some to get more power.

#6 ·
when I had a 283 I used AC45s no r. Didnt have a radio,lol. Champion plugs did not work well,autolites fair and NGK worked well.I was using points.HEI might be a lot more tolerant of different brands. The 283 does not make much power stock. A decent cheap head for a 283 is the stock 1.94 camel bump heads.You could easily make 235 plus horse power and not much torque,smooth and fun to drive if the car is under 3000 pounds

#10 ·
Can not seem to keep it running when it is put into drive, keeps stalling and missing when driving. Have not checked the distributor or rotor yet and the carb was on my 4.3l worked well with it. also choke light is always on on the dash even though the choke is not on, light goes out when it is unplugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.