3.73 or 3.08 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 09:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

3.73 or 3.08

I have a chevy 350 with 882 heads and a 282 crane cam. With a 350 turbo trans with a mild shift. I am probally going to switch cams in about two months due to gas mileage. I want good mileage but good performance. Which should i go with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Your post is confusing. Did you mean change rear gears? Or change camshafts? The title of the post is 3.73 or 3.08's and then the post says nothing about rear gear ratios...Plus, if you are asking about rear gear ratios and are concerned about mileage, you need to let us know what gears you have now as a place to start...

THANKS!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:46 AM

sorry i was in class and not concentrating hard. Well i probally plan to change cams, unless i get around 13-15mpg with the 282. I have a 3.73 but it is orginal and has a good bit of slack in it. I Am looking at either a 3.73 or 3.08. I have been told that the 3.73 was a good middle man for towing performance and milage. I am a dummy though and want further instruction/thoughts. Sorry for the confusing post. I am concentrating of the rear gears, but if you have a thought on the cam i am all ears!! Thanks

Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM

If you tow, or do alot of city driving, I would reccomend you stick with the 3.83 ratio...It will be more drivable stoplight to stoplight, and will actually get just a little bit better mileage than the 3.08's in and around town...

However, if you do mainly highway cruising, or interstate flying, you need the 3.08's for the lower cruising RPM...In this situation you would definately see a mileage improvement over the 3.83's...

You didn't say what kind of vehicle or budget you are running, but the best of both worlds can be had with a 700r4...Just something else to think about...
Old 04-07-2004, 03:06 PM

all right thanks, i will be driving back and forth to school a little, I am going to be outside DFW Texas, so I will be doing a good bit of highway driving with a little city driving. I will probally go with the 3.08 thanks for the help. Tight Budget!
Old 04-10-2004, 04:25 PM

you can't use 3.23 and up gears on a carrier that has 3.08 and lower gears, the carrier also has to be replaced.
As for gears, 3.42s are a good compromise between 3.08 and 3.73
Old 04-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally posted by Jzarczyn
you can't use 3.23 and up gears on a carrier that has 3.08 and lower gears, the carrier also has to be replaced.
As for gears, 3.42s are a good compromise between 3.08 and 3.73
They make gearsets in the higher ratios to fit the 2 series carriers also.

It would be helpful to know what vehicle this is, I'm thinking a truck but could be wrong, and your tire size.

You want mileage go with more likely a 268 cam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:20 AM

they do make high ratio sets for series 2 carrier? who?
I have 8.5" series 2 posi
carrier(with 2.41 gears)
and I want high ratio.
I've heard about this spacers system that fits with series 3 gears to series 2 carrier..
Old 04-11-2004, 10:42 PM

it is a 70 c10 with twenties with a 45 profile tire. I was looking at simply buying a new gear and pinion set and swapping them out, the cheaper the better! But please keep the comments rolling i am gaining knowledge and ideas, thanks for all the replies so far!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 AM

The Chevy truck 12-bolts came with 3-series (3.08 or 3.40 ratios) or 4-series (3.73-up ratios) carriers. Richmond makes gearsets from 3.08 to 4.56 that will fit a 3-series carrier, but nothing lower than 3.73 for the 4-series carrier. You could swap carriers when you change the gears, or swap an entire rear end, but watch the width. Chevy went to a wider rear tread width in the middle of the 1970 model year.

Last edited by jimfulco; 04-13-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:51 PM

If i keep with the 3.73 Should i only have to replace the ring and gear? With the possibility of bearings and small stuff? Where is the cheapest possible place/way of buying these parts?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:04 PM

One more question for all you smart guys, How much slack is to much in the Rear end? The truck has the original rearend. I am not sure what it is call but where the drive shaft hooks up to (on the front of the rear end) I grab that and it has just barely over half an inch of slack. I am not looking to race or be super performer. More than anything I am looking to save some bucks. Is this so much slack that i need to replace it?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in