32 Ford rear deck panel & drip rail question, w/pic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Wiki Edits: 0

32 Ford rear deck panel & drip rail question, w/pic

My 32 project arrived at 6:30 am! Surveying the old rod hacks done to it.

The rear trunk lid opening has been changed and 1" metal strips tacked on sides & top of opening. The sides are easy to undo, but the top piece welded to the deck panel behind the roof looks strange to me as I can't find a pic of this area online.

Can you tell what was done where they added the top strip? The gutters are still there, but if I take off the added strip, then there would be just a thin overhanging edge of the rear deck???

Most cars of that age would have a 90* bend down from the surface of the deck, going down 1" to the bottom of the rain gutter; not like what this is? The added piece is slid under the deck skin, and tacked. What should it look like? I did get a real 32 lid with it, but want to ask before I cut this stuff out for fitting. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Wiki Edits: 6

A project ... NOT for the weak at heart ...

Unfortunately, 32 Fords seem to have been the favorite car for hackers as well as rodders. They were just cheap old Fords back in the day.

This old 5W has the same iron welded in ... I believe it was to raise the mounting area ... SO ... a flat sheet of metal could be welded to the body.

That was a fairly popular modification " back in the day " because even then ... good deck lids were difficult to find ... and dirt track cars did not need access to the rear area ... the sheet metal panel weighed a good bit less than a original deck lid ... and would not pop open if hit during the race. I have even seen decent bodies with no race history done this way ... and bondoed over for a smooth look.

Friend had a NICE 32 3W body with the deck lid gone and a panel welded in ...

I would carefully remove the extra iron ... from what I can see ... ... this is not your major issue ...
Old 07-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Wiki Edits: 0

I emailed the former owner about the deck top edge, he said just remove the strip. Now that I look closer, it looks the rear deck skin behind the roof overhangs the rear lid rain gutter slightly, and the skin is folded over 180* against itself when it was new. So, it's not an issue Never saw that type of edge detail on other brands of cars.

Pulled the body off today to try to find the ID....so far I don't see anything, but will use paint stripper instead of grinding.

Looks like about a 1 foot channelling Wheel arches aren't rotted, rear tail panel & underside of the tail is Ok, and looks like enough perimiter metal is still there to help get the floors in correctly.

This old rod is "cosmetically challenged"

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in