Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 327 build/cam recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nailhead View Post
If you aren't interested in numbers matching/period correct casting numbers, then lose the antique heads. I did it once and will never do it again. A set of Vortecs are going to out run and out mileage any of the old heads. You can pickup a set of rebuilt ones for roughly the same money you're going to put in the old ones. And now is the time to put the roller cam in because you're going to be putting new springs on whatever heads you choose to use. The additional $300 or so for the roller will save another $600+ later.

I can't say it enough to build your long block for the long haul and tuning, carbs, ignition, and headers can be done easily later. Do you really want to build this with a FT cam and stocker heads today and be tearing it back apart 6 months to a year from now?

My two cents and good luck - Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for the wise advice.

Since the motor is a nice rebuild that has sat for a couple of years (which is the only reason I'm going to tear it down), I guess I should find out what I can get for the 492s, and the "NOS" 291s that I have, calculate the difference for Vortecs, roller cam, springs, intake etc., and see how I want to go about it.

I might just make sure it's balanced and the deck height is optimal, run it with the current components for now, and if I end up at the strip enough, then figure out what I want to spend on improvements.
As far as the work involved, I used to be an aircraft mechanic, so I don't mind turning wrenches for a good cause.

Anybody have some ideas on where to best market the "antique" heads?