$35 Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos ! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Last journal entry: Project change
Wiki Edits: 0

What would be the amperage draw of these EPS units? Would a typical older GM alternator be able to keep up with one?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM

I have 130amp alternator. A friend of mine is running is Falcon with only 65amp alternator.

Waid
Old 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.

Don't get offended by my .02 cents

Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding. I know some introduce newer parts on there older things (cars n trucks) but come on the old junk is where it is at, make it work with the older stuff. That's why it is called a Hot Rod not some kind of Hot "E" Rod E thing. Just my .02 on E parts, making up my mind for me in if at all they will work when a situation prompts a quick decision I don't like the idea of a piece of wire & some kind of sensor that makes a decision for me. This is why we are in a shi+ hole of problems when we introduce more into some thing that will work just fine with a more mechanical way or idea of doing it.

I also have worked for a local Automobile dealer that I have seen too many times after time a Mechanic PRACTICING on someones Wallet to see how much they can Extract from it in Labor Cost because he can't find or trace down the problem in the Electrical system. *** I'll go back in time and give you all some bit of Facts about when in our early stages of our Space Shuttle Launching's that A Computer on the shuttle and a Computer on the ground couldn't talk to one another. That was a "E" thing and each Computer probably cost up words in the Millions and the E things in our vehicles are of a much Cheaper version. Its your Life and others around you while driving that are most important. I myself am going backward to my old 64 Chevy car & my 68 C10, OLD SCHOOL BABE !!! like I said before my .02 cents

Last edited by mjgord51; 02-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:34 PM

While your statement is true I have enjoyed the opportunity to serve in the armed forces and incurred some injuries in Vietnam which left me with one good arm and leg therefore I have to find alternative means to do most things.

Try this, first spend 14.5 years in a wheelchair, then tie you left arm behind your back and bind your left leg to your thigh at knee level, then at 68 years old change out a tranny, engine or just wash and wax you car. Asshat!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM
fat tire

I was call al kind of names for putting a backup camera in my Camaro.
I was actually told I shouldn't be driving if I need a camera to back up.
my reason for having the camera, I have 2 ruptured disks
in my neck and have limited movement
some people just don't realize how lucky they are
Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
While your statement is true I have enjoyed the opportunity to serve in the armed forces and incurred some injuries in Vietnam which left me with one good arm and leg therefore I have to find alternative means to do most things.

Try this, first spend 14.5 years in a wheelchair, then tie you left arm behind your back and bind your left leg to your thigh at knee level, then at 68 years old change out a tranny, engine or just wash and wax you car. Asshat!
First of all let me (if I could) shake your hand (no pun intended) in serving in the Military. Sorry to here for your loss of limbs, and I applaud you for doing what some people would find hard to do or impossible. Why all the hostility dude? I can understand your limitations and that you can move past them to get what needs done for you but why do you use your Injuries to make a point. Wow that was coming right out of Left field "Asshat"
Old 02-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tire View Post
I was call al kind of names for putting a backup camera in my Camaro.
I was actually told I shouldn't be driving if I need a camera to back up.
my reason for having the camera, I have 2 ruptured disks
in my neck and have limited movement
some people just don't realize how lucky they are
For what its worth a camera doesn't slam on the brakes for you while backing up, you have to do that yourself. I get it about the Ruptured Disks, I have had two Back Surgeries almost back to back and I also have Blown Out Disks still so I do and Can feel your pain. The point was I don't want some Computer/sensor/E wire making my Decisions for me I can do that myself.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:47 PM

For whom this Concerns. I am Sorry for my post that I guess turned into a Pissing Contest here. It wasn't intended to turn out the way it did.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgord51 View Post
Don't get offended by my .02 cents

Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding.
Not offended at all. To each his own.

Some people are content with flat head and single barrel carb with 4 wheel drum brakes. I guess those are the "real" hot rodders

I way I see it, this is a low buck upgrade that I did that eliminated hydraulic system and gain little bit of power and clean engine bay. I though that's what they did back in the day. Innovate.

Waid
The Following User Says Thank You to waid302 For This Useful Post:
JeffB28 (10-25-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waid302 View Post
Not offended at all. To each his own.

Some people are content with flat head and single barrel carb with 4 wheel drum brakes. I guess those are the "real" hot rodders

I way I see it, this is a low buck upgrade that I did that eliminated hydraulic system and gain little bit of power and clean engine bay. I though that's what they did back in the day. Innovate.

Waid
Innovation is the mother if invention
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM

RE: EPS size

Posted earlier requesting some measurements of a typical EPS, haven't gotten an answer yet so ran some rough measurements of the area I have to work with. Roughly 7 5/8" wide by 8" long. Another problem that I foresee is the heat from the engine and the headers. Anybody have an idea of how much heat they can withstand? You can see the burnt paint from when I had the timing waaay retarded. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_152842.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	345953   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_153207.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	345961  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:29 AM

You must put the EPS unit inside the cab to avoid engine heat. This is true with all EPS units, aftermarket or adapted from a production car. This involves shortening and adapting to the steering column. This is not for the average wrencher. It involves top quality machining and welding. It also requires good solid mounts to withstand the output torque of unit. In max assist, the output torque is about 8-10 times the input torque. See site below for an example that has some of the work already done at substantial cost.
Improved Electra-Steer Ididit Steering Column Kit
Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waid302 View Post
Electrical Diagrams
On the 2008 Versa EPS control module which pin is the one that you run ignition power to? My module has two large connectors for battery and motor and a multi-pin connector with 16 small pins. I didn't get the wire harness with it so I need a pin count to know which pin is the correct one to run key power to.
I can't find a wiring diagram of these connection either, which would help.

I found it! It's marked in the pic of the diagram you posted. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Fang16; 02-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:52 PM

2007-2009 Nissan Versa wiring

Using the 2007-2009 Nissan Versa EPS but didn't get any wiring or connectors with it (ebay). I have your 2008 Nissan Versa wiring jpg but not sure which pins are the correct ones for the torque sensor wires on the the EPS module pins. The torque sensor has wires (red, yellow, black and white) but they terminated at the column mount.I have included a pic of my EPS module if you'd be so nice as to head me in the right direction.
Also, the motor wires were connected to the left most pins and I'm not sure if this correct.
Been trying to find a 07-09 versa in local salvage yard to get connectors and wiring from but no luck yet. Not really sure what size the pins in module are either. I think .061/1.2mm?
Thanks for all your help.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170225_095003.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	348105  
Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 PM

See the picture of my Versa ECU. The Orange wire is the Ignition On +12V. You will need the little small wire harness that goes from the ECU to the Torque Sensor.

Waid
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 Versa.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	348209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_211226.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	348217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_211226b.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	348225  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in