37 Ford Truck frame Color - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

37 Ford Truck frame Color

As I get ready to have my TCI frame powder coated, I know the color is black, BUT the big question is on the Sheen; Gloss, Semi gloss, Satin, or Flat.
Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

it was probably flat

but i like simi flat on restored and gloss on hot rods.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Your truck=Your choice

454 RATTLER

Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 AM
Capt Mike

Papa Murphy,

I think this goes to ones persona taste and hoe much time does a person want to spend cleaning the frame.

My '56 Chevy stock frame is a Semi-Gloss Black. Easy to clean and touch up. The frame is difficult to touch up as there are so many brackets and braces. Plus the boxed frame is factory Stitch Welded and these areas are a PITA.
We installed a LS1 & Tremic 6 speed Spring of 2007 so the frame is getting pretty rough and I'm getting a bit weary with touch ups. But no one seems to notice at the Street Rod events. The questions are always How did you do,,,,,,.

My current '37 Chevy Coupe build I painted the Frame with a full roll cage a Semi-Gloss Silver, was a nightmare to spray . I wanted a color different from black and be able to see all of the members and welds in low light. The frame is all Rectangular tubing and the Roll Cage is Round tubing. Frames fabricated, in my past experience, are much easier to clean and detail.

I'm painting this car a Semi Gloss Black, Satin Black, with faint fogged in flames. Exterior, No Chrome, no S/S Trim, no shinny exterior parts !! The Firewall is coated with Lizard Skin, and it is Painted in a Satin Silver. More of a Matte finish with a textured finish of Lizard Skin. I'm thinking to make a change. I'm going to paint a few test strips in a Black Semi Gloss to see if that would look better.

A close friend of mine is a builder and he specializes in years from '29 to '41, primarily. He's just finishing up a '37 Ford Pickup oem frame, modern front IRS and Bango rear, a few mods. Frame & components are painted in a Gloss Black and looks great when clean, but it's going to be a time consumer to keep clean. The owner seems to be stuck on not painting this Pickup, just original Patina.

We all have different tastes !!

But, A Glossy clean Frame does look great, esp Frames Fab'd with new Tubing.

Michael.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:23 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

My friend had a 34 Sedan with a color matching red under side. After using it he would put it up on his lift and clean the underside with socks on his hands. It was a huge pain in the arss. Noone ever looked under the car. He then put mirrors on the ground next to the car so people would see the underside. The guys gave him so much crap that he stopped bringing the mirrors.

Your car=Your choice

454 RATTLER
Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 PM

A huge thanks to...

With this being my first post I continue to run across decisions that have to be made. Some days I feel like keeping it as close original and there are other days I feel like living on the edge.

I keep hearing from friends and hotrodders, It's your build, do what you want and are going to be happy with.

Walt's Hot Rod Shop (Walt Herr) in Brownsburg, IN has started on the build with Jose Martinaz doing the Body work. About 2 1/2 more months and it should be done.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 6,554 Times in 4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Murphy View Post
With this being my first post I continue to run across decisions that have to be made. Some days I feel like keeping it as close original and there are other days I feel like living on the edge.

I keep hearing from friends and hotrodders, It's your build, do what you want and are going to be happy with.

Walt's Hot Rod Shop (Walt Herr) in Brownsburg, IN has started on the build with Jose Martinaz doing the Body work. About 2 1/2 more months and it should be done.
Yes we can say "it's yours do as you want" or you can be like me and say "DON'T DO THAT!" because there ARE things that shouldn't be done to a car be damned if it's your car or what ever.

There are things you will FIND OUT later shouldn't be done so when someone says "DON'T DO THAT" they are often saving you grief!

Don't ever be afraid to ask a question like that because that is what others on a forum like this are for, to toss things around, to get info, to give info, to give ideas and to get ideas, that is what these forums are for!

When I had my frame powder coated a few months ago I forget the term he used but it was funny to me like "hard part black" or something like that. Referring to chassis parts, clutch pedal parts, bumper brackets that sort of thing. And it's a "satin black" that is what this powder coater with a wall of color chips (5-10 of them being black) had and used on most every frame unless the customer had something else in mind. That is the color I used and I am thrilled to see my frame sitting there ready to go in "hard part black." LOL

Brian
Old 05-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Last photo:

Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,619 Posts
For powder coating on an aftermarket frame, I would ask for gloss.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in