3M body filler difference - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

3M body filler difference

What is the difference between the 3M 1131 and the 1171? One is Platinum and the other Platinum Plus.

I had the plus, it is yellow/gold color. Thought I bought the same stuff but when I opened it was surprised to see it is almost white, then noticed it's not the "plus".

From what I can tell, the Platinum Plus is specially for use with the "3M Dynamic Mixing System", whatever that is? I'm thinking that "system" mixes the hardener with the filler so you don't have to???

So I have the 1131 without the "Plus". I don't have a "3M Dynamic Mixing System", so is it just as good?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 AM
True Hotrodder

Looks like the 1171 is a superior product if there is a concern about grip and use on alternative panels. On sheet metal I would doubt if there is much of a difference although it does suggest that it hides better under basecoats. So it's probably developed for production shops that would like to do fill work, shoot primer, block and base rather than having to spend funds on a sealer.

The system simply provides the exact measure of filler:hardener. Again a production shop would save money in not wasting badly mixed filler or going back over it for pinholes with a catalyzed putty product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 PM

I've used both. You'll find the "non-plus" is not as creamy smooth as the "plus".

The plus is almost, but not quite, like metal glaze. Really nice stuff. The non plus is not bad stuff but more along the lines of a traditional body filler.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 AM

I think we got things mixed up. The non plus is almost white, I took it back and got the plus. If I had known the white stuff was creamier I would have kept it. (I had opened the can but not tried any) Too late now, I started to use the Plus gold color stuff.

I had called 3M and they sure didn't know crap about the difference between them, I guess it wasn't on the computer in front of him.
While on the phone with them I asked what the shelf life is and he said 18 months from the date of manufacturing. Well hell, the stuff I just emptied was about 7 years old and seemed just fine. I was hoping the "fresh" stuff would be thinner but no go.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:48 AM

Last journal entry: Floors

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been wondering about the shelf life of filler myself. I've got a can of "Evercoat Rage Gold" with about two inches of material left in it and a can of "Evercoat Extreme" that's about three years old with about the same amount. I was going to combine the two into one can. Are they compatible? What's the shelf life of Evercoat? The older can has sat in an unheated garage where temperatures get down below zero.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been wondering about the shelf life of filler myself. I've got a can of "Evercoat Rage Gold" with about two inches of material left in it and a can of "Evercoat Extreme" that's about three years old with about the same amount. I was going to combine the two into one can. Are they compatible? What's the shelf life of Evercoat? The older can has sat in an unheated garage where temperatures get down below zero.

I wouldn't mix the two. Try calling or emailing the manufacturer on Monday is your best bet. Some things say to not let it freeze, but unless it has water in it I really don't understand why it would matter. But again, down below zero is pretty low. Best bet is to move south and buy new stuff.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,207 Posts
Quote:
Those products would mix just fine. But for two inches in bottoms of cans and years old, I would rather not use it on a skin panel or on somebody else's ride. The filler might be OK but not the hardener. Evercoat would like their filler products to be used within about a hundred days from manufacture. Anybody's hardener goes bad way way way before the filler. If less viscuous material is desired, dump in MetalGlaze. It also mixes with those products.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Last journal entry: Floors

The more I thought about it I agree with dumping it. Not worth risking a paint job over a few dollars of filler.

And Tony, as far as moving south goes, you may be surprised to know there are actually people (like me) who can't stand hot weather and love the cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molon Labe For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (10-30-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I think we got things mixed up. The non plus is almost white, I took it back and got the plus. If I had known the white stuff was creamier I would have kept it. (I had opened the can but not tried any) Too late now, I started to use the Plus gold color stuff.

I think you misunderstood me. The Plus is a smoother spreading filler. I actually like it better then Rage when it comes to putting on tighter coats.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The more I thought about it I agree with dumping it. Not worth risking a paint job over a few dollars of filler.

And Tony, as far as moving south goes, you may be surprised to know there are actually people (like me) who can't stand hot weather and love the cold.

Well that's *cool* with me.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
I think you misunderstood me. The Plus is a smoother spreading filler. I actually like it better then Rage when it comes to putting on tighter coats.

Oh good, I ended up with the right stuff after all.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
Oh good, I ended up with the right stuff after all.
Yep
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
I've used both. You'll find the "non-plus" is not as creamy smooth as the "plus".

The plus is almost, but not quite, like metal glaze. Really nice stuff. The non plus is not bad stuff but more along the lines of a traditional body filler.
my thoughts exactly. The non plus is also a greyish color while the plus is a little greener. Great products

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in