4.3 Chevy exhaust manifolds. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Wiki Edits: 0

4.3 Chevy exhaust manifolds.

I realize this is a stab in the dark. Last year I was at the junk yard and found a complete 4.3 chevy engine on the ground. It was from the late 80`s best I could tell. What set it apart was it had a CCC system Quadrajet on it and tubular aluminum exhaust manifolds that look identical to shorty headers.
The only GM vehicle with a 4.3 and a Quadrajet I recall ever seeing was in a Chevy Astro van. I have a 92 chevy C1500 with a 4.3, I`m curious if anyone knows if the exhaust manifolds off the astro engine will fit my pickup? The exits appeared to be in the exact same place as the stock cast iron "log" manifolds. Since the van manifolds are lighter with a better size and I`m sure far better flow I seen them as a cheap way to have headers on my pickup as the cost for aftermarket headers for a 4.3 is high. I was also thinking I could have them blasted and coat them with a good exhaust coating from Eastwood. I was also hoping they would change the sound slightly. I am running a dual pipe set up that runs into a 2 into 1 splitter into a single turbo muffler that runs into a 1 into 2 splitter with dual pipes exiting under the bumper. The engine has a larger than stock cam and even with the turbo muffler it still has that dreaded "V6" sound. I was thinking if I added the Astro manifolds if they fit and a true dual exhaust with turbo mufflers it would help get rid of the V6 sound somewhat.
My nephew`s ranger has a transplanted 4.0 with true duals and it`s very difficult to tell it`s a V6 so I hoped the same thing would work for me.
So if anyone knows if these will fit and will help with the sound I am very appreciative.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.

My '85 Monte Carlo TBI 4.3 had those same "manifolds" and IIRC '85 Monte 4.3's could be had with a 4bbl. too. I've only ever heard one hopped up V-6 that didn't sound like a V-6. It was a Vortec 4.3 and had a performance single exhaust on it with a large single tailpipe. I thought it was a V-8 but was told it was a 4.3. Never found what setup he had but it sounded great. My Dodge 318 had a "2 into 1 into 2" exhaust with a Flowmaster and it sounded like regular straight duals. When I went to headers I had a 2 into 1 exhaust with 3" tailpipe put on, it gave it a much smoother more even tone. I suspect the same setup might do the same for a V-6 making it sound a little less like a 6.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram
Wiki Edits: 8

I've got a 93 4.3 TBI S10 with the stock Y pipe, no cat, 2.5" single exhaust through a 3 chamber Flowmaster, and people ask me all the time if it's a V8,

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

I used to have a flowmaster on mine but had it removed in favor of the turbo. The FM sounded like a swarm of angry bee`s. When I first got the truck I`m guessing the muffler was a stock replacement job as it was a "wooden" muffler. You could rev it and it went "Wooden,,,, Woooooden"
That was the biggest reason I had the turbo muffler put on as they`ve always been my favorite sound wise and I thought maybe the deep tone would hide the V6 sound. At idle, my truck sounds okay, it sounds like a stock muffled V8 at idle. Right off idle is when you can tell it`s a V6. But then, the muffler is the cheapy thrush turbo and not the more expensive dynomax super turbo. There is a bit of room in the engine bay of my truck which is the biggest reason I believed the manifolds would fit but I could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram
Wiki Edits: 8

I think the size is why it sounds so good,
On the other topic, I don't see any reason the tubular manifolds wouldn't work as long as the dumps wind up where you want em,
True duals and an H or X pipe will help rid it of the dreaded V6 sound too,
When I ran the exhaust on my truck, the plan was for it to be half of the V8 system I'm doing later on, so I can just add the other side when I get my Vortec head roller motor done, ,
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
When I first got the truck I`m guessing the muffler was a stock replacement job as it was a "wooden" muffler. You could rev it and it went "Wooden,,,, Woooooden"
Well I'll make it through today having had at least one good laugh..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in