4 post out side - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2015, 11:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4 post out side

my garage is not tall enough for a lift inside so i was thinking to put it out side on the drive way. I live in Washington so it is going to get wet.
i can put the pump and motor inside but how bad it the cable and pulley system going to get trashed out side. is it all grease able?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

you can contact the manufacturer and ask about it.. grease covered brushes.. or sponges. there are bigger versions of these available.. 10 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

one guy went as far as using 2 tall containers for sides.. one for the back wall.. and building a wooden roof ... all depends on the size of your property and building codes. or cut the floor out of a third container and put it over the left and right container so your car on a hoist goes up into that one.

covering the outsides with T111 plywood so it does not look like containers..
Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

My neighbor has a lift that is outside and it lives there just fine. His is greasable and the motor and pump have a cover that keeps them dry. No problems to report other than he needs to wear some rain gear this time of year. We are on the wet side of Wa,

Sam

Old 12-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Hoist

I have a 2 post hoist in my 8' wall garage that has a about 10 foot roof peak, I have positioned it so the roof of the car goes up between the roof beams. It only lifts the car to about 4 1/2 to 5 feet of the ground which is fine for me as I am in a wheelchair but other people who come around to help sit on rolling stools which drops them down to my height. We have no come across any job that we can not do sitting down.

Max
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2themax For This Useful Post:
Cape Cod Bob (02-10-2016), John long (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman200 View Post
my garage is not tall enough for a lift inside so i was thinking to put it out side on the drive way. I live in Washington so it is going to get wet.
i can put the pump and motor inside but how bad it the cable and pulley system going to get trashed out side. is it all grease able?

Hello neighbor from across the valley. I have a low ceiling in my shop and I set my 4 post lift outside my shop. I have had it outside since 2010 and so far all is well. The weather is a little hard on the paint or powder coat but the cables are stainless and so far are wearing great.

I also have a mid rise scissor lift in my shop and I can raise a vehicle high enough to do brake and suspension work but depending on which vehicle I choose I have to be extremely careful of the low ceiling. I have a canopy for the outside lift but just haven't put it up. (I wonder if I could find all the parts) .

A word of advice is to plan ahead and secure it in and your ready to go.

Rip "on the east hill"
Old 12-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
other people who come around to help sit on rolling stools which drops them down to my height. We have no come across any job that we can not do sitting down.
X2 on that!!

I have raised the ceiling in my home garage and can lift my '63 T'Bird to the upper limit of my four post lift. However, like you point out; I have found that it is much more comfortable to just raise it high enough that I can sit and roll around.

I have actually "customized" an old roll-around office chair so that the back support is at an angle such that I can semi-recline to a comfortable non-neck straining position when working overhead underneath the 'Bird. Basically the same principle as a creeper, but a heck of a lot easier to get into and out of!!

A lot of guys are probably going to flame me for being such a wuss, but I want to keep wrenching as long as I can and when you get to be my age you need all the help that you can get!!

Tom
Old 12-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Tom, I am the same way. I cruse about the shop in my power wheelchair and I have everything set up that I can run all the equipment from seated in my wheelchair or a quick transfer to another stool chair or even a creeper. I am more fortunate than a lot of people in chairs. I can when necessary actually stand for a short period if I am propped up against something. I can't walk but I can do almost anything in my shop that my normal abilities could do, I just take 3 times as long!. ha ha ha Oh and Yep even the visitors allowed in get to set low rider style.

Yeah I know about that getting older part. all the internal pieces of hardware holding me together is a startin to rust I reckon! I just ain't ready to drink a quart a PB Blaster to remove the rust. Now some of my distant relatives down Kentucky way they make some great corrosion remover called "Old Rip Van Winkle" and I find that is the best for me to keep the hardware moving.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:49 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I am joining the "rebuild crew" Waiting for my apt for a chassis splice. Laminectomy they call it. In the meantime it s do what I can. So I have a helper and as soon as I can navigate without pain then I will carry on in the shop.

Sam
Old 12-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I just take 3 times as long!
I hear you!!

And I honestly believe that we have 3 times as much fun and enjoyment!! (LOL)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but the sooner that guys start finding ways to do things so that make it is easier on their body, the more they will appreciate it later!!

I am talking about protecting and taking care of ALL of yourself! Wear safety glasses, some sort of head protection, dust mask, respirator, hearing protection, good shop shoes, gloves, good welding protection (hood, goggles, sleeves, etc.), good ventilation and temp control, etc. , avoid overreaching and for goodness take care of your back and knees. Not all at the same time of course (LOL), but take it from someone that knows - your body wears out just like any machine, and even quicker when you don't take care of it.

I plan to still be wrenching at 100 (I'm 71 now)! Planning to start a new project (actually resume one that has sat idle of five years) of completing my '53 CORVETTE replica right after the New Year. 17 year old G'Son is driving me nuts for it!!

Tom
Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but the sooner that guys start finding ways to do things so that make it is easier on their body, the more they will appreciate it later!!

I am talking about protecting and taking care of ALL of yourself! Wear safety glasses, some sort of head protection, dust mask, respirator, hearing protection, good shop shoes, gloves, good welding protection (hood, goggles, sleeves, etc.), good ventilation and temp control, etc. , avoid overreaching and for goodness take care of your back and knees. Not all at the same time of course (LOL), but take it from someone that knows - your body wears out just like any machine, and even quicker when you don't take care of it.

Very good advice
Old 12-26-2015, 10:53 PM

I find when I take 3 times as long to do something I get 2 free tries to get it right!.

Yep people need to worker smarter when it concerns their bodies and health. When I was young I used to use more brute force than try to make it easier. I remember using my shoulder as a battering ram when doing things and now it is shot. My hearing is shot from constant wine of avionics cooling blowers and noisy equipment. (I will never admit some may been caused by to much Led Zep at Max Vol). protect your ears and eyes..
Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastomeh View Post
I hear you!!

And I honestly believe that we have 3 times as much fun and enjoyment!! (LOL)

I plan to still be wrenching at 100 (I'm 71 now)! Planning to start a new project (actually resume one that has sat idle of five years) of completing my '53 CORVETTE replica right after the New Year. 17 year old G'Son is driving me nuts for it!!

Tom
I'M 71 and just started back on my last kar hopefully 55 2 dr sedan 100 years old?I'll pray you make it, maybe i can do Bob s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 chevy 001.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	947.3 KB
ID:	275954   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 on the rotissery 001.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	275970  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'M 71 and just started back on my last kar hopefully 55 2 dr sedan
I hope you mean "last kar" as in; "the last car that I worked on" - not as in; "the last car that I will work on"!!!

I'm already thinking about a '55 Ford Pickup as my next project once I finish the 'Vette! (LOL)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Tom

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in