40 Dodge Frame Swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

40 Dodge Frame Swap

I would like to swap out the original frame from my car to a later model frame. I am sure there have been many Ford and Chevy frame swaps. I would think my 40 Dodge wouldn’t be too different than a Ford or Chevy. I will appreciate any input anyone may have. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,888 Times in 4,386 Posts
Ok, here is my opinion, FORGET ABOUT IT. Honestly, this "frame swap" is so over the top and has ruined more cars. There are VERY few "swaps" that don't RUIN the car or truck. On a truck it's a lot easier, but on a car, think about it, the floor of your car, it is shaped like the top of the frame, how in the world can you get anything that is going to come close?

If you think modifying your frame would be hard, it is like installing a friggin stereo in the dash compared to modifying another frame to fit under your body that will also need modifying for the wrong frame to fit under it.

There is no such thing as a frame "swap" you have a LOT of work to make something that wasn't designed to go there work. It's not like an engine swap, I can compare it more to a "fender swap." Think about that for a minute, put a 68 Chevelle fender on your car, I know I could do it, I could make brackets and modify your body and the fender until that Chevelle fender bolted on, sound like a good idea? That is EXACTLY what a frame "swap" looks like under your car!

All a frame "swap" swaps is time, money and work from your frame to another frame, that is all it does.

If you spend half the time on your frame to modify it the way you want you will end up with a MUCH better end result.

Yes some end up nice, I understand that, but they are very skilled and with that car they lucked out and found a frame that works "ok". There are many reasons why it may work out ok to do it, the stock frame is a rusty mess and a new one has to be gotten anyway, that's not enough for me because stock frames ARE out there. But let's say you have a car that the stock frame is very hard to find, ok we could think about it, you better have a PILE of skills you better be ready for a PILE of work.

I say move into the community of your car and start looking at what people do to modify your frame to work. I know the front suspension is kinda hard, cutting out a bunch of that frame may be needed, a front clip may be the best way, I don't know. But for goodness sakes leave the "frame swap" for the LAST resort.

End of rant.

Brian
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Frame sway

I totally agree with Brian! Tour the back of a junk yard and you will see some swap attempts that were just given up on.

I fully understand wanting a better foundation for your car with updated suspension. To meet those goals I think it's much saner to modify the original frame, add a K member with new suspension front and rear. Much has been written regarding a MII style front and there are a handful of options for rear suspension.

Make a plan, decide what you want for the next X number of years for the car and gather parts and knowledge to meet those goals.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

40 Dodge Frame Swap

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for your candid remarks. I knew there would be work involves, I didn’t realize it would be so difficult, and may not work out.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 PM

Tho we do frame swaps in Michigan, because the floors are usually gone and have to be fabricated any ways. A large project that takes a special individual to complete.
I have used GM mid size cars or "G" body cars for the frames. Wheelbase is fairly simple to alter and they are plentiful. In Michigan a bonus is the frame horns/bumper extensions are already rotted off!!
I have helped on install of a Dakota clip on a 39 Plymouth and it drives well. On my own 47 Dodge B-coupe. I just rebuilt the front end components, relocated the shocks and used a Cavalier rack with a Fatman Fab disc brake conversion. Handles well and stops.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:41 AM

40 Dodge Frame Swap

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

Mike

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in