400+hp 383 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

400+hp 383 build

Hey guys. Y'all probably get a lot of these, but I'm looking for tips on a 383 build that is both street able but I can still take it to the strip every now and then. Trying to keep it at a decent budget of between 2-2.5k. Yes it's not a whole lot but I know there's ways to make this work. It will be put in my 1966 Chevy pickup that has a SM465 with 4.11 rear gearing and a Detroit locker. I have the block and it is going to get decked, honed, bored, and new cam bearing installed. That'll cost me $500. Unless my Dad is able to take it to his shop and get it done cheaper. I wanna go with a forged crank for sure. I am thinking a holly DP 750 edelbrock air gap. Beyond that, I'm stumped. Any help? Thought about using vortec heads and try and get them ported. Not sure if it's worth it. I've heard bad stuff about a certain casting (901 I believe) so I'll keep away from those. any mildly inexpensive kits that come with moly rings, crank, bearings, and Pistons?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 PM

My brother had a '64 GMC with the SM420 & old 327 that went like a scalded dog.

I just had a 355 done over and it got a bit out of hand on me. I started off figuring on $1500 for having the short block done. It was a 1974 smogger 350, dished pistons, rods needed to be reconditioned, so it was new pistons & rods. Crank needed to be cut and so on. All told I have about $2400 in that alone. The only things I used on the OG 350 were the block, crank and main caps.

I went with a aluminum head and intake combo from Dart (great deal at Summit) and a Holley 700, Lunati Voodoo cam and so on. My total for everything has doubled from my first guesstimate.

But you really have to think everything out before you buy anything. Are your pistons and rods usable? Know what compression ratio you want. For me I wanted to stay with pump gas. I was advised to concentrate on the short block first by my builder, which I did. Then we tossed around ideas for heads and intake and also the cam. I'm happy with what I have, I did a lot of homework on it.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB0121 View Post
Hey guys. Y'all probably get a lot of these, but I'm looking for tips on a 383 build that is both street able but I can still take it to the strip every now and then. Trying to keep it at a decent budget of between 2-2.5k. Yes it's not a whole lot but I know there's ways to make this work. It will be put in my 1966 Chevy pickup that has a SM465 with 4.11 rear gearing and a Detroit locker. I have the block and it is going to get decked, honed, bored, and new cam bearing installed. That'll cost me $500. Unless my Dad is able to take it to his shop and get it done cheaper. I wanna go with a forged crank for sure. I am thinking a holly DP 750 edelbrock air gap. Beyond that, I'm stumped. Any help? Thought about using vortec heads and try and get them ported. Not sure if it's worth it. I've heard bad stuff about a certain casting (901 I believe) so I'll keep away from those. any mildly inexpensive kits that come with moly rings, crank, bearings, and Pistons?
For the HP goals you are after, a forged crank is a little overkill & is gonna eat into your small budget pretty hard.
As for the Vortecs, there is no difference between the 2 castings.Some 906 Vortecs that came on HD vehicles had hardened exhaust seats & a single angle valve job on the exhaust valves.Other than that, there are no differences. Vortecs can be a little small portwise for a 383, but, they can work well & support upwards of 400 HP.
IMO, considering your budget, about the best way to go would be a Skip White s troker kit.It will include the complete rotating assembly & will arrive externally balanced.It includes a Scat 9000 nodular iron crank, Wiseco forged pistons, Scat 6" rods, (I think he's phasing out the 5.7 rod kits), King bearings, Mahle rings, Balancer & flex plate.Your standard flywheel will be an added cost.These kits run just under $1100 +whatever the upcharge on the standard flywheel may be.With Vortec heads you see will need to use the reverse dome pistons to keep compression at a safe level.He has different cc volumes to choose from.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 PM

before you go looking at skip white ,( and wind up getting Jacked) I would take a look at speedway kits

383 Chevy Small Block V8, Rotating Assemblies - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors
Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Budget will be impossible if only parts you have right now is the block. Do you have a cam, heads, carb, etc? Rotating assembly alone is going to run you around 1200ish. By the way, I like Eagle assemblies myself. Lot of opinions out there though,
Old 01-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-72 View Post
before you go looking at skip white ,( and wind up getting Jacked) I would take a look at speedway kits

383 Chevy Small Block V8, Rotating Assemblies - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors
Never used the Speedway kits.I did notice they're a good deal cheaper, then I saw why.They don't include rings, flexplate, balancer, or balancing.Also hyper pistons vs forged in the Skip White kit.Their cranks & rods say Sp eedway brand.The rods look like the same casting sold by Eagle, Speedmaster (formerly Pro Comp).I'm sure they are probably OK kits for the money, but, by the time you buy the kit, buy the parts not included,& have it balanced, it will cost more & be lesser quality.There have been at least a dozen of the Skip White kits bought & used here with no problems what so ever.Do you have any experience with the Sp eedway kits?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Wrench Turner

Just looking Skip's kit, I also noticed the Scat rods are 4340 vs 5140 in the Sp eedway kit.I also noticed the kits have came down in price to $929.The rings have also been changed to Hastings.I don't think you could finish out that Speedway kit for that & Skip's stuff is all name brand stuff.Scat, Wiseco, King, Hastings.The Speedway crank & rods are most likely Eagle, or, another rebranded offshore casting.Not saying they are bad.Just that I doubt they're any better.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as Joker.....forget the forged crank at that power level, a SCAT cast will live easily to the 550 hp point in a street/strip engine......and a second vote for the Skip White stroker kits. They have better parts than virtually every other vendors kits, are priced a few hundred dollars lees then comparable kits and other vendor kits in the same price range have lesser quality parts in them and usually only hyperuetectic pistons and not forged.

I've done engines with two of the Skip White kits and both fit-up real well. The next 383 I do for myself will be using one of his kits unless something better comes along at that price point ($870).

Speedways kit doesn't compare up well to the White kit...lesser quality crank and rods, only hyper piston, and no balancer, flexplate, or rings.....not to mention they charge you more yet to balance it for you. That's a lot of missing stuff that the $100 or $200 cheaper price won't cover when you have to buy those parts individually and get it balanced locally..
Old 01-16-2016, 12:47 AM

Thanked 1,442 Times in 1,332 Posts
you dont need the extra 28 cubes to make 400 hp. Good set of Vortecs from Scoggin Dickey or equal. 225 int duration @ .050 with 10 mor on the exh side.
long tube headers
9.5: 1 cr
rpm int
750 cfm carb
well put together detail wise
balance for that ever so smooth feel
6200 rpm will get you the power you are asking plus plus
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
I was going to say the same thing as Joker.....forget the forged crank at that power level, a SCAT cast will live easily to the 550 hp point in a street/strip engine......and a second vote for the Skip White stroker kits. They have better parts than virtually every other vendors kits, are priced a few hundred dollars lees then comparable kits and other vendor kits in the same price range have lesser quality parts in them and usually only hyperuetectic pistons and not forged.

I've done engines with two of the Skip White kits and both fit-up real well. The next 383 I do for myself will be using one of his kits unless something better comes along at that price point ($870).

Speedways kit doesn't compare up well to the White kit...lesser quality crank and rods, only hyper piston, and no balancer, flexplate, or rings.....not to mention they charge you more yet to balance it for you. That's a lot of missing stuff that the $100 or $200 cheaper price won't cover when you have to buy those parts individually and get it balanced locally..
I agree Eric.The Speedway kits in the same category with the Skip White kits are not an apple to apple comparison.Less parts, combined with less quality & less usable value.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 AM

For a 400HP 383 you can use a good Iron Vortec head unported and you don't need a forged crank. I would put together a good 9. 5 to 1 bottom end with vortec heads and use an air gap intake and 750CFM carb along with a hyd roller cam.

She will make 400/400 all day long.

Tags
383, 383 build sheet, chevy, motor, stroker

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in