406 sbc stock crankshaft nitrous? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 406 sbc stock crankshaft nitrous?

Recently built a 406 sbc. I ended up getting a nitrous kit for a song after I built it and am debating on whether the motor will hold up or not. I would re-gap the rings but my main concern is the stock crankshaft. Will it hold up or not. Its approx HP is 450 and ft lbs of trq. I-Beam push rods. If I'm pulling the pistons to re-gap the rings I will change over to a forged piston but will the crank hold up to a 150 shot. Thats pushing 600 hp when its all said and done.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 PM

406 sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1935 chevy View Post
Recently built a 406 sbc. I ended up getting a nitrous kit for a song after I built it and am debating on whether the motor will hold up or not. I would re-gap the rings but my main concern is the stock crankshaft. Will it hold up or not. Its approx HP is 450 and ft lbs of trq. I-Beam connecting rods. If I'm pulling the pistons to re-gap the rings I will change over to a forged piston but will the crank hold up to a 150 shot. Thats pushing 600 hp when its all said and done.
The motor is built really well. I took my time and had a sectioned off a room in my shop that was a nice as any living room, warm and comfortable there was time to relax and do the job without cutting corners. I was aiming for around 500 hp and will achieve that by getting better flowing heads. I used the original crankshaft not thinking I'd use nitrous, but should have beefed it up as-well.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,216 Times in 2,697 Posts
The stock crank can handle that nitrous hit without a problems....just make sure your fuel volume and ignition timing are correct.

Best way to ensure this is to have a separate fuel pump and line for the nitrous along with a timing retad for the ignition.

Depending on the age of the nitrous kit, you may want to go online and look up current fuel and nitrous jet combinations....modern ratios are a lot different than what is provided in older kits. Testing and technology has shown that the older ratio's were far from correct.

Tags
406, crankshaft, nitrous, sbc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in