430HP/470 TQ 383 Stroker feels sluggish sometimes - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,354 Posts
scotty, I was using math for him being in low gear (2.5"1) to get the rpm up

A non racing high stall converter will maybe take 2/10s off the E.T. vs stock
approximately the same gain by going from 2.73 gears to 3.9:1

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 06:39 PM

Some folks here keep insinuating that the problem might be the engine.. I've already said this a good running engine. It was built by ATK Performance engines, only 1,300 miles on it, it's well tuned, only use premium gas, (35* total timing), has the right carburetor (Quick Fuel 680 cfm), has long tube headers with insert baffles only (no full exhaust).

Given I have 2:73 gears, a TH350 trans, 26 stall convert.. wouldn't one of those 3 things be more likely my issue? Yes, if I step on the gas from a stop it'll smoke the tires, it just doesn't seem very responsive when I'm cruising and I quickly tap the gas and release (doesn't jump forward).

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Tapping the throttle probably won't make your car jump forward. What does it do if you floor it and are positive it kicks down to a lower gear? That is when you should feel a little something, not just "tapping" the throttle.
The Following User Says Thank You to 55 Tony For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-04-2019)

Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
Tapping the throttle probably won't make your car jump forward. What does it do if you floor it and are positive it kicks down to a lower gear? That is when you should feel a little something, not just "tapping" the throttle.
Yes, it's very important to know if the trans downshifts when you step on on the gas. And, like Tony, I'm not sure what you expect when quickly tapping and releasing the throttle. The car is only going to jump if you're in the right gear.

Again: At 40 mph does the trans downshift when you push the gas pedal to the floor? And what happens if you hold the trans in 2nd gear and stomp on the gas at 40 mph?

Do you have a tach? If so, what is the engine RPM at 40 MPH before and after you "quickly tap the gas and release"? I mean, even if the trans doesn't downshift, RPMs should immediately jump by 1000 or so, factoring in your 2600 stall converter.

Have to say right now I just can't get a feel for what's happening when engine goes from smoking tires in 1st gear to not responding in taller gears. You gotta try what we've suggested above.
The Following User Says Thank You to 55_327 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,160 Posts
The reaction you get will depend a lot on the vehicle weight and overall gearing which is not only the 2.73 axle ratio but the tire diameter as well. Tires larger than what the factory hung on the ends of a 2.73 axle will react as if the axle was even higher like 2.23 or worse. Tires smaller than typical factory would make the reaction more like a lower axle say 3.08. Remember drive axle ratios are described as how they change engine revs to road speed not described in the mathematics of ratios sense.

The high stall converter is working the way you would expect a heavy vehicle with a high ratio rear end would react. That being as you apply sudden throttle the engine runs up a bit but not a lot of vehicle acceleration happens.

An answer is to put more gear ratio on the rear end whether that's a smaller diameter tire, steeper gearing, or both is more than I know about the vehicle.

Bogie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (10-05-2019), AutoGear (10-15-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post

I just went for a test drive and it's definitely not downshifting when I step on the gas going at 40 mph. I've narrowed down the issue to the transmission kickdown cable. Basically the plastic ratchet like adjustment piece for the cable is worn out and therefore the cable doesn't stay where I adjust it to. The way I adjust the cable is by making sure the cable is fully extended when WOT. However because of that worn piece the throttle linkage is not fully pulling on the cable. I need to get another cable.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Ford Coupe Delux View Post
I just went for a test drive and it's definitely not downshifting when I step on the gas going at 40 mph. I've narrowed down the issue to the transmission kickdown cable. Basically the plastic ratchet like adjustment piece for the cable is worn out and therefore the cable doesn't stay where I adjust it to. The way I adjust the cable is by making sure the cable is fully extended when WOT. However because of that worn piece the throttle linkage is not fully pulling on the cable. I need to get another cable.

I'm so glad you tried that. Did you try manually shifting into 2nd and how did that feel? When you get your new cable be sure to put the throttle to the floor if it doesn't downshift right away. Others can tell you if you are adjusting it properly, IDK, I have a th400 and it's electric kickdown.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 PM

***UPDATE***

I fixed the kickdown cable adjustment piece by putting a clamp on it to prevent it from moving and now it's downshifting properly and feels like it's gonna take off flying when I step on it at highway speeds. No wonder it felt like it had no power before it just wasn't downshifting from 3rd gear.

Thank you all for the help!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 47 Ford Coupe Delux For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-09-2019), 55 Tony (10-09-2019), AutoGear (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,914 Times in 2,719 Posts
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Ford Coupe Delux View Post
***UPDATE***

I fixed the kickdown cable adjustment piece by putting a clamp on it to prevent it from moving and now it's downshifting properly and feels like it's gonna take off flying when I step on it at highway speeds. No wonder it felt like it had no power before it just wasn't downshifting from 3rd gear.

Thank you all for the help!

Great! That was a lot easier than changing gears in the rear!
The Following User Says Thank You to 55 Tony For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (10-15-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in